Chemical balance advice for recently filled pool

Great! That OCLT will tell us the health of your pool.

1) No. The addition of MA will not affect the OCLT in your case.

2) Now? Tomorrow? Hahaha. I think you have enough chlorine in there to kill pathogens. Right now it's more of a potential algae issue, assuming your FC doesn't plummet within the next hour. Sanitation requires a lower FC than algae prevention. You can swim in algae....

3) Hasa is pretty cheap, usually. I have the following link bookmarked on my phone for when I am out shopping. Ignore the zip code search as it is not always current. The calculator works a treat:

Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

- - - Updated - - -

2) update for newbies scanning this post: You can swim in algae as long as you can easily see a swimmer in trouble. In this case, the OP is good.

Alright, I just completed the 25ml FC and CC test.

FC: 46 drops which should = 9.2ppm
CC: 2 drops which should = 0.4ppm (this barely turned a light pink and went back colorless after 2 drops)

I'm going to be up in 7 hours for work and I can complete the OCLT then. I will post the results, how does the above sound?

Headed to bed soon. Did you get an evening FC test yet? If you don't post soon (tired...) tomorrow is fine. I am just all invested in your pool now since I made my faux pas on the drop-multiplier thing!

- - - Updated - - -

Cross-post. That sounds perfect!!!!!! (Although I am a bit surprised you ended up at FC 9.2 when you were aiming for 5).

Let us know your results!

Cross-post. That sounds perfect!!!!!! (Although I am a bit surprised you ended up at FC 9.2 when you were aiming for 5).

Let us know your results!

The only thing I can think of is the result was taken about 90 mins after I added in the liquid chlorine? I'm not sure, I followed the PoolMath, but I also don't have anything to measure exactly how much I pour. It was a brand new bottle of HASA chlorine which meant half the bottle was 64oz.

Hmmm. Sometimes Hasa is reported as super strong as it is so fresh. Hopefully that is the issue along with your "guesstimate" on your addition. Otherwise we have a pool volume issue. Regardless, it will not skew your OCLT, so no worries.

Go to Walmart, and for less than a buck, you can get a 2 quart measuring cup with a handle.

- - - Updated - - -

Headed to bed for sure, otherwise I will crack another beer... That wouldn't be wise! Good luck!!!!

Alright so I just did the OCLT with the 10ml sample and got these results:
12 drops for FC = 6ppm
CC is 0, not drops required to make it colorless

Would the change from 25ml to 10 ml sample drop my FC at that rate?

Update...
Just redid test with 25ml sample and get 34 drops... So a loss of 1.6ppm correct?

Also noticed my pH was around 7.9 to 8.0 still after adding MA last night.

My calculation for your 25ml test is a overnight loss of 2.4FC which is a fail. So unfortunately a SLAM is in order.

You just need to keep adding MA if it goes above 7.8. If you are going to SLAM you do want to bring your pH down to 7.2 before you proceed.

My calculation for your 25ml test is a overnight loss of 2.4FC which is a fail. So unfortunately a SLAM is in order.

You just need to keep adding MA if it goes above 7.8. If you are going to SLAM you do want to bring your pH down to 7.2 before you proceed.

For my reference, how did you get to 2.4ppm? I thought the 25ml was .2ppm per drop. 8 drop difference should be 1.6 right?

Last night you were at 9.2ppm. This morning you were at 6.8. That is a difference of 2.4ppm. Unless you made a typo in your posts above, I think you need a new calculator, hahaha!

Even if it was a 1.6 loss, anything above a 1ppm loss is a "fail". Sorry about that!!

Do you have more MA and plenty of Hasa on hand? If not, pick some up. You will want to lower your pH to 7.2-7.4. You can do it in a couple of doses so that you don't overshoot and go below 7.2.

Once that is done, you can begin your SLAM. Your FC needs to be maintained at 16ppm. Here are the directions:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You're right, for some reason I kept thinking 42 drops when it was 46. There's a pool store on my way home that I can get more MA and HASA from. I'll pick it up tonight and get started with the SLAM.

Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Another side question, for the CYA test with the K-2006. Is it when the black dot completely disappears or when it just begins to disappear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't SLAM'd yet because my work schedule won't allow me to do so until the weekend but I've been maintaining the right chemistry so far. My dumbass thought the return jet was right outside the skimmer so I've been adding chlorine and MA right outside the opening where the skimmer is in the pool though. I've done it about 3 times now, is that enough to damage the pipes and pump?

Side question, how do you guys safely add MA? For the first time this AM I accidentally inhaled some when I thought I was good. I stopped immediately but it freaked me out. I read on the forums from a mod the best way is to wet the area around you, partially submerge the jug and then pour to avoid splash.

Thanks!

Also on your SLAM and even after for that matter, stick with 10ml samples. The back and forth from 10 to 25 is confusing, and also uses alot more chemicals for really not that much more accuracy. Almost everyone here sticks with 10ml.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.