Solar - first results

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
First off, thanks to everyone here, especially JohnT, that helped me through the process.

My one weekend project took a month. I learned alot and am dang, dang glad that phase is over. When my whole pool area project is done later this summer I'll post photos of the process, but I thought I'd go ahead and do an early report. The sun doesn't hit the panels until maybe 9ish due to trees and by 3 they go into the shadow of a dormer that is above them. All this shade is why I put them in to begin with even though I had less than ideal circumstances. I have 648 sf of pool and put in (3) 4x12 Aquatherm panels on a east facing deck roof that is probably around a 2:12 pitch that slopes towards the east. This amounts to 22% coverage which is much less than the vendors recommend.

The panels have been in for about a week. It's been too cloudy to really do much with them. Lots of rain, and unusually cool here in central AL. Wed was supposed to be more of the same. Tues night the water temp was 75°. I guess Wed morning it would have been 73° or 74°. My wife turned the panels on around 10am and by 12 the water was 79°. The day heated up to upper 80's and it was partly sunny from about 10am until dark. We had maybe 30% clouds. By the end of the day the water was 84°. We had a 10° temp gain on a day with some clouds!!!! These things work.

:goodjob: Glad you are seeing good results. I'm afraid a lot of people are scared off from a solar system by the recommendations for large panel arrays. The smaller systems aren't the equivalent of a gas heater or heat pump, but they will give you many more days of comfortable swimming per season, and they do it at a very reasonable cost. I'm currently running about 10 degrees warmer than my neighbor's unheated pool, and I've shut my panels off for some of the time to keep from getting the water too warm.

Your post last fall that prompted our PM's really got my attention. If someone in central Indiana can have a 90° pool in Sept then there's a good chance they'll work pretty good down here. Turns out, that was a good assumption.

I took my solar blanket off on Sunday afternoon and am done with it until mid Sept. I think the panels will also let me take the blanket off sooner and wait longer to put it back on.

dayhiker said:
Your post last fall that prompted our PM's really got my attention. If someone in central Indiana can have a 90° pool in Sept then there's a good chance they'll work pretty good down here. Turns out, that was a good assumption.

I took my solar blanket off on Sunday afternoon and am done with it until mid Sept. I think the panels will also let me take the blanket off sooner and wait longer to put it back on.

You'd be surprised how hot Indiana is in the summer, especially in the southern part of the state. Like Alabama, Indiana is a long state running N/S, so the climate varies quite a bit. Chicago winter weather in the north, to more like summer in the the mid-South in Southern Indiana. We are probably about the same distance from Nashville as you are.

Not having to use the blanket as much is a nice perk of the panels. You don't have to feel guilty about wasting the heat like you would with a fueled heater.

JohnT said:
dayhiker said:

You'd be surprised how hot Indiana is in the summer, especially in the southern part of the state. Like Alabama, Indiana is a long state running N/S, so the climate varies quite a bit. Chicago winter weather in the north, to more like summer in the the mid-South in Southern Indiana. We are probably about the same distance from Nashville as you are.

Not having to use the blanket as much is a nice perk of the panels. You don't have to feel guilty about wasting the heat like you would with a fueled heater.

I'm about 4 hrs from Nashville.

The Sept part of it is what got my attention. Sept is still summer here. Summer runs from tax day to Columbus Day :lol:

JohnT said:
Chicago winter weather in the north, to more like summer in the the mid-South in Southern Indiana.

Must be nice. :mrgreen:

We're looking to move to Indiana, hopefully next year, but still commuting distance to Chicago for hubby's job. We're looking at Valpo. Unfortunately it's still in the snow belt. Hoping we find a house with an existing IG pool. :goodjob: It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, perhaps a little more of So Indiana weather..... :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
JohnT said:
Chicago winter weather in the north, to more like summer in the the mid-South in Southern Indiana.

Must be nice. :mrgreen:

We're looking to move to Indiana, hopefully next year, but still commuting distance to Chicago for hubby's job. We're looking at Valpo. Unfortunately it's still in the snow belt. Hoping we find a house with an existing IG pool. :goodjob: It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, perhaps a little more of So Indiana weather..... :wink:

Snowbelt...How about Lake Effect Snow...My sister in Valpo got twice as much snow as we did...and probably three times as much as you guys did where you are...And it gets worse the further east you go...like from the west side of Valpo the the East Side. Have fun!!! Can't wait for you guys to make the move! :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
We're looking to move to Indiana, hopefully next year, but still commuting distance to Chicago for hubby's job. We're looking at Valpo.

Valpo, Valparaiso for those of you trying to figure out where the heck it is, is still well in the lake effect area. :cry: Even Lafayette gets lake effect weather. The real dividing line in Indiana is around I-70 for real winter. Rare to have a real winter south of it, common north of it.

No place like Northern Indiana/Chicago: The winters are heck, the summers are hot and muggy, and the danged lake is too cold to swim!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JohnT said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
We're looking to move to Indiana, hopefully next year, but still commuting distance to Chicago for hubby's job. We're looking at Valpo.

Valpo, Valparaiso for those of you trying to figure out where the heck it is, is still well in the lake effect area. :cry: Even Lafayette gets lake effect weather. The real dividing line in Indiana is around I-70 for real winter. Rare to have a real winter south of it, common north of it.

No place like Northern Indiana/Chicago: The winters are heck, the summers are hot and muggy, and the danged lake is too cold to swim!

Our former secretary used to have a place at the beach. They shared ownership with a couple from IN. She was from Pell City, AL and they were from Tell City, IN. That always seemed funny to me.

JohnT said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

Grew up hear and love lake michigan in the summer...I grew up swimming in 65 to 70 degree lake water...This is why I would love my pool to be no warmer than 74...but my wife and the neighbors hate that...So that is why I went with the solar bear heater system. I had it on for the week before Memorial day weekend and it went from 62 to 76 in 5 days...and the weather was cool but sunny. We swam the Thursday before Memorial day...Then the dog put a leak in it and I have to start all over again...but it is already warming.

dayhiker said:
JohnT said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

Our former secretary used to have a place at the beach. They shared ownership with a couple from IN. She was from Pell City, AL and they were from Tell City, IN. That always seemed funny to me.

Man there was a great bluegill lake that my dad my granpa and I used to fish in Tell City...I wish I could remember the name of it...Summer or Winter we killed the bluegill there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.