Sodium Bromide

Jul 7, 2016
Rydal, GA
I am a rookie pool owner and my pool got contaminated with what I later learned was pink algea. I tried to super chlorinate and brushing but it came back. I looked on Internet and found a pink treatment. I added to my pool but now have concerns that I have made a bad move as it is Sodium Bromide. I need to know if I did make a bad move and if I did what do I need to correct.

Pink treatment and 1 lb was added

So in your pool volume, that's going to equate to 15.8ppm sodium bromide concentration in the water. That's about half way to what people add when operating a bromine pool (typical bromide bank is 30-50ppm). So, unfortunately, you will experience a constant chlorine demand from the bromide being converted to bromine by chlorine. Bromine is a sanitizer but it does not get stabilized against UV loss like chlorine does with CYA. So the bromine will get used up more rapidly than the chlorine and it will constantly use up chlorine in the process.

You can either choose to operate your pool as a high loss chlorine pool OR you can dump your water and refill. Up to you.

I just got a new K2006 test kit but still in the process of learning how to use. I have check night time use with test strips and I have little loss of free chlorine but in daytime I go from 7 ppm to zero in about 6 hours. Temperatures have been in mid 90's with no cloud skies.

We really need proper test results, strips are too unreliable. We need the full set of numbers -

FC
CC
TA
pH
CYA
CH

And we need accurate measures of daytime loss and overnight loss. This will tell us how much chlorine is being consumed by the bromine and whether or not it is worth it to continue operating the pool the way it is. If losses are too high, then the amounts of bleach needed to maintain proper sanitation levels could cost more than just dumping the pool water and starting over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.