suggestions on adding permanent water line to pool

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I haven't found any yet, but does anyone know of any threads on plumbing a water line to the pool so you don't have an unsightly water hose hanging over the edge whenever you need to top it off? Especially if the pool wasn't setup for that originally.

Pics would be great too :)

It doesn't come up very often. You can either plumb a line directly to the plumbing at the equipment pad, with a manual valve, or put in an auto fill system. Plumbing directly to the pad is fairly easy, you just need to leave some provision for winterizing. Putting in an autofill after the fact is a little more difficult, since the autofill valve needs to be level with the pool surface, but still quite possible.

do most people just drag out the hose to top off?

With 3 kids I get a fair amount of splash out. I don't have to top it off every day but maybe once a week. And I just don't know how much I'll lose to evaporation during mid-summer since this is new to me (I don't have a solar cover yet, plan on getting one).

One thing to consider is that you need to prevent pool water from entering your drinking water lines if you tap into the pool plumbing to do it. I'm not really sure if there is a safe and easy way to do this. When I built my equipment room, I stubbed in a pipe and valve to be able to add water directly, but I've not followed through because I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd like to plumb in on the suction side of the pump so I can use the line to prime the pump as well, but I worry that it would flush debris out of the skimmer if I don't clean it first.

Hmmm... good point.

I guess I'll just get a short water hose and hook up a Y to the outside faucet. The outside faucet is just about 8 ft from the deck so I'll just run under the deck and find a way to mount it so it stays in place pointing into the pool then just turn on the Y at the faucet as needed.

JasonLion said:
For a direct plumbing connection all you need is a back flow prevention valve. It is a common fitting used for irrigation systems.

I'd looked into those, but I can't tell from reading if they are designed for pressurized water on the non-potable side.

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but the OP has an AG pool, not inground, if that makes any difference.

I wonder if you could make a "toilet tank"(afterall, that's basically all an AutoFill is) that sits under the deck, but even with the top of the pool. If you could figure out a way to pipe that tank(something like a 5 gal. bucket) to the pool, you'd be all set. The hard part would be connecting that pipe to the pool with "neutral" pressure. What about getting one of those over-the-edge auto-fills and hanging it in the skimmer?

Just thinking out loud,
Adam

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, I just drag the hose out and throw it over the side when I need to top off the pool. Usually have to do it once a week during the hot summer months. When I'm through, I reel up the hose on the hose reel, and all's good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.