Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: suggestions on adding permanent water line to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

suggestions on adding permanent water line to pool

I haven't found any yet, but does anyone know of any threads on plumbing a water line to the pool so you don't have an unsightly water hose hanging over the edge whenever you need to top it off? Especially if the pool wasn't setup for that originally.

Pics would be great too
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: suggestions on adding permanent water line to pool

It doesn't come up very often. You can either plumb a line directly to the plumbing at the equipment pad, with a manual valve, or put in an auto fill system. Plumbing directly to the pad is fairly easy, you just need to leave some provision for winterizing. Putting in an autofill after the fact is a little more difficult, since the autofill valve needs to be level with the pool surface, but still quite possible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

do most people just drag out the hose to top off?

With 3 kids I get a fair amount of splash out. I don't have to top it off every day but maybe once a week. And I just don't know how much I'll lose to evaporation during mid-summer since this is new to me (I don't have a solar cover yet, plan on getting one).
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

One thing to consider is that you need to prevent pool water from entering your drinking water lines if you tap into the pool plumbing to do it. I'm not really sure if there is a safe and easy way to do this. When I built my equipment room, I stubbed in a pipe and valve to be able to add water directly, but I've not followed through because I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd like to plumb in on the suction side of the pump so I can use the line to prime the pump as well, but I worry that it would flush debris out of the skimmer if I don't clean it first.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm... good point.

I guess I'll just get a short water hose and hook up a Y to the outside faucet. The outside faucet is just about 8 ft from the deck so I'll just run under the deck and find a way to mount it so it stays in place pointing into the pool then just turn on the Y at the faucet as needed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Double check valves, check valves or antisiphon devices work great.

These will prevent the water from flowing back into the source system.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rastoma
    do most people just drag out the hose to top off?
    Every couple weeks I need to add about 3/4" and dragging the hose out is no trouble.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

For a direct plumbing connection all you need is a back flow prevention valve. It is a common fitting used for irrigation systems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    For a direct plumbing connection all you need is a back flow prevention valve. It is a common fitting used for irrigation systems.
    I'd looked into those, but I can't tell from reading if they are designed for pressurized water on the non-potable side.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't know if anyone else caught this, but the OP has an AG pool, not inground, if that makes any difference.

I wonder if you could make a "toilet tank"(afterall, that's basically all an AutoFill is) that sits under the deck, but even with the top of the pool. If you could figure out a way to pipe that tank(something like a 5 gal. bucket) to the pool, you'd be all set. The hard part would be connecting that pipe to the pool with "neutral" pressure. What about getting one of those over-the-edge auto-fills and hanging it in the skimmer?

Just thinking out loud,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

11. Back To Top    #11

Yea, it would need to be a double check or dual check valve, in order to handle the back-pressure.

12. Back To Top    #12

FWIW, I just drag the hose out and throw it over the side when I need to top off the pool. Usually have to do it once a week during the hot summer months. When I'm through, I reel up the hose on the hose reel, and all's good.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"