How to properly disconnect vacuum

Apr 27, 2014
Central FL
This is probably a really stupid question but..

I have one of those Zodiac Barracuda G3 cleaners attached to the port in the pool wall. What is the correct way to disconnect it when it is not needing to be doing its thing? The port has a spring loaded cover that shuts when the vacuum hose is not inserted.

Do I have to turn off the valve at the pump before disconnecting? If not, since the door on the pool wall port is shut, will it create some type of negative pressure or something?

I'd hate to have to turn the valve every time, as it's really difficult to operate, like it's stuck. In fact I don't think I can even get it to full close. But I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks TFP

That cover is a safety device to protect from entrapment of swimmers. If you need to remove cleaner completely from pool it is best to shut off vacuum line at valve. If you just want it out of the way while swimming, turn pump off and pull hoses out of way till your done. Some will put hoses on deck leaving cleaner head below water to keep primed. If the safety cover is closed with the pump running without adjusting the valve, the pump will cavitate while running, not good for pump in the long run

Thanks. With a screen enclosure I just don't need the vacuum on 4-6 hours a day, and it's in the way. I'd rather just put it in once a week. I'm just not sure I'm getting the valve for it to fully close, so like I said I didn't know if that was bad to have it sucking, even a little bit against the closed door on the pool wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.