interpreting test results and using pool math

Tested today
PH 7.2
FC 6.0
CC 0
TC 6.0
CYA 30 (right at the line on tube)
TA 40 ( 4 drops and it was red, double checked)

So Im trying to understand on the CYA/FC chart it looks like my FC is too high at 6 it should be 4. So should I try to increase the CYA or lower the FC? Im nervous about getting the CYA too high as I have to use my well water if I need to drain it or truck in more water. So do I set my target at 50 for CYA on the pool math? I see the TA isn't right either, but I don't want to ask too many questions in the same post. Thank you again for this site I'm learning so much

You can leave your CYA at 30. The FC will probably be gone by tomorrow, if not the end of the day. There is no real harm going over just a little bit of the target.

Yes, you'll want to get your TA up to 60 at least.

TA low

Hi all. My PH doesn't want to stay up and I'm guessing it's a TA thing. So I have ph up but am wondering if I should focus on my elevating my TA first and seeing what it does to the PH or just go for the PH? From reading it looks like my TA is what balances my PH right?

PH 7.2
TA 40( double checked 4 drops)
FC 6.0
CC 0
TC 6.0
CYA 30

Thank you. So I have pucks floating in pool should i just remove them so as not to add CYA? Hubby is not convinced (yet) that all we need is straight chlorine and add chems separately as needed. We did use 2.5 gallons of chlorine since beginning, and I've added stabilizer as recommended by pool math.

Thank you. So I have pucks floating in pool should i just remove them so as not to add CYA? Hubby is not convinced (yet) that all we need is straight chlorine and add chems separately as needed. We did use 2.5 gallons of chlorine since beginning, and I've added stabilizer as recommended by pool math.
Yup, I would say pull the pucks. Save them for vacation when you need chlorine but won't be there to add it.

I would think 30 CYA would be fine in NH.

Depends. Do you want to raise your CYA? It's a slow way to raise it but it's fine. Are you going on vacation the rest of the summer? Then you could pull them out now and leave yourself a little cushion for putting them back in while you're gone.

In NH you don't have the brutal sun our TX and CA friends have, so you don't need >30 CYA but it's fine a little higher, just whatever your preference is.

per pool math I added 1 cup of ph up. Will retest and post
No more pH up for now. The pucks were keeping the pH low as they are very acidic. Using pucks is like using liquid chlorine and muratic acid at the same time. Many people think liquid chlorine causes pH to rise, but in fact what was happening is that the tabs keep pH artificially low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No more pH up for now. The pucks were keeping the pH low as they are very acidic. Using pucks is like using liquid chlorine and muratic acid at the same time. Many people think liquid chlorine causes pH to rise, but in fact what was happening is that the tabs keep pH artificially low.

Will do. That makes complete sense! I don't know why I couldn't think of that more acid = low ph.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.