"not enough chlorine.." -- kids sick after swimming

ntobik

Jul 31, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
We've had some friends come over and swim a few times with kids the same age as ours. On two occasions their boys came down with a stomach bug after swimming here. The accusation has been that we don't have enough chlorine in our pool because "we can't smell it in the water."

Now I'm fanatical about the pool, FC stays in the 7 range, CYA is 35 pool is crystal clear and has been this summer. I bump chlorine before kids come to swim to make sure it never dips too low, Ph is 7.6, everything is in balance. Yesterday we even topped up when people took a break in the afternoon. FC was 8.5 when I tested last night before bed.

My boys never get sick, they're out there daily swimming. I'm wondering out loud if these boys could be ingesting too much pool water? Could they be getting sick from drinking pool water with chlorine? My kids don't drink the water, having a pool they understand that this isn't good. But sometimes this education is lost on friends.

Coincidence? Or could the pool water be making the kids sick? Thoughts?

The first question we always ask is what are you testing with? But, FC 7 with CYA 40 (there is no 35 on our recommended test kits) is plenty of chlorine to kill any pathogens.

That you do not "smell" the chlorine is a good thing because that smell is actually CC, meaning the chlorine is killing an over abundance of bad stuff in the water.

Tim,

I have the TFP T-whatever kit you guys sell on the site. I put the dust in the tube and put in drops until it turns clear. I say CYA at 35 because it's between the two lines, more than 30 less than 40. I'll run a full test on the water later today and post.

I found some sites that claim drinking too much water can have symptoms that are similar to food poisoning. Maybe these kids just need to keep their mouths shut?

I'm so paranoid about other kids putting junk (germs, pee, whatever nasty sickness they have) in the pool I never really considered that the chlorine in the pool itself that kills this stuff could make them sick.

Nate

The CYA tube is not calibrated for results between the lines, just round up. Yup, the chlorine is there to kill the pathogens, not just algae.

If the other parents are concerned, their kids don't have to swim........

Agreed that you are maintaining plenty of chlorine to keep the pool sanitary. Maintaining FC above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], will keep your pool sanitary. I would say that yes ingesting too much pool water is the likely cause of their stomach aches.

I had a dog we could not take to the beach as he drank the salt water and always got sick with the same sort of thing tummy up and down. I am guessing it is the same thing with the kids. Stop drinking the water and you will be fine. YOUR kids and your family are fine and have been fine so it is on them. If they don't like how their kids are feeling after swimming in YOUR pool they do not have to swim in it.

What he is used to "smelling" is the BAD stuff at public pools. The water is so foul I bet his kids never drank it so never got sick from it. YOUR water is so nice they do not think twice about drinking it so.......

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.