BDavis BBQ Island

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I just finished this up...Nothing too spectacular but a far cry from my previous BBQ. I'm thinking I'd really like a Primo and if I end up getting one, it will get its own home somewhere else in the yard.

This is a Lion 32" NG BBQ with their drawer and door setup

The original counter was 4500 psi concrete with 3/8" aggregate with WWM and rebar. I did it this way so I could have the added strength and not worry about dealing with the reinforcement while it set. The overlay was 2 parts plastic cement to 3 parts washed plaster sand with some bonding adhesive mixed in. It was all done freehand similar to the rocks in my pool. I stained and painted it the following day.

You really have the caveman/boulder thing going on in the backyard there...love it.

If you're really series about getting a smoker then your only option is ....

Pitts

Love your backyard, man. If we ever move to Riverside, I'm calling you for the backyard design (assuming I can get you before you move out... :p )!!!

That looks great!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

You really have the caveman/boulder thing going on in the backyard there...love it.

If you're really series about getting a smoker then your only option is ....

Pitts

I'll check out the smokers...tough decision to make.

Love your backyard, man. If we ever move to Riverside, I'm calling you for the backyard design (assuming I can get you before you move out... :p )!!!

I'll give you a really good deal on this house!:deal:

Nice! Primo XL is awesome!

Thanks Danny. I know you've spoken highly of your Primo. Have you found anything it can't do well?

{in hushed whispering voice}

Pssssst.....you WANT a Big Green Egg....you MUST HAVE a Big Green Egg.....Primos are for chumps...... :D

Wow! Nice work. I like the brick and stone look.

I'm planning something like yours after I get my pool finished.
Wondering if you have a covered lanai and will need a hood.
My setup will have to be under the lanai and against concrete block house wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
{in hushed whispering voice}

Pssssst.....you WANT a Big Green Egg....you MUST HAVE a Big Green Egg.....Primos are for chumps...... :D

I've heard great things about them but I can't get past the looks. The Primo sure looks a lot better.

The other issue is that I'm in Traeger country and may get chastised if I go the kamado route.

Probably before I do anything I should actual use the Lion that I bought :shock:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! Nice work. I like the brick and stone look.

I'm planning something like yours after I get my pool finished.
Wondering if you have a covered lanai and will need a hood.
My setup will have to be under the lanai and against concrete block house wall.

The BBQ is under a covered patio but is near the edge of it. I'm not too concerned with smoke issues because the ceiling is almost 11' high. I never had any issues with my old grill either.

I'll see if I have a picture to show it a little better.

8.jpg

Not a great picture but you can see the old BBQ on the far left. The island was built in the same spot

Yeah, they sell Traeger smokers pretty hard around here too (in almost every retail and big box store) with Traeger reps acting as barkers. I admit there's something nifty about the whole pellet thing and you can even automate the temperature control which adds a certain amount of "geek factor" to it. But, I made my choice years ago about the BGE and I have no regrets except for the fact that I let a moron landscaper install it for me and so there's some difficulties in getting to the access doors. If I had to do it over again, I would have just had the guy do the paver hardscape and I would have built the ODK. Sadly, I did not have you great folks for inspiration at the time so I contracted it out...a mistake I will not make again.

Ever cooked a turkey on the BGE?

Yup. I have a ceramic turkey sitter (like a beer can chicken holder but bigger). Once you dial in the temp you can cook the turkey low and slow and get some very juicy and tender meat. You do need the additional ceramic plate setter insert to do it. And I would only attempt it on a BGE L or XL sized smokers.

Is that pool table on the far right? If so, very nice!!

Yeah...believe it or not it has stone on it as well. I'll get a better picture tomorrow. It makes the BBQ look wimpy.

I have a good friend that works at one of the local fairgrounds ask if I wanted a pool table. I had just finished building the patio and was having trouble filling it up. Who couldn't use a pool table anyway?

I came home from work one day and saw this free pool table he had dropped off. It looked like he drug it behind his truck on the freeway the entire way there. Well, free is free and I had some extra materials so I went at it. The table could really use new felt but its getting the job done for now. There's no heartache over spilled beer - adds to the character.

As long as the slate under the felt is level and the wax joints are still good, a few little rips and tears in the fabric just adds a challenge ;)

Primo XL is great and the CyberQwifi makes it lots better. It can hold 225 or 250 for 24 hours on one load of lump. Did a beer can turkey, use a Fosters beer can, and a beer can duck last year at the same time. The XL oval shape gives a lot more room for a lot of meat. Also, better for ribs. The split grates are handy. Love it, I think I've had it 4 years now. Made in USA and much better lookin than Matt's green egg! :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.