mpact of Low salt levels in a chlorine pool?

imureh

Jun 17, 2016
Katy
Hi, I just got some Aqua check test strips to test salt levels for first time. The reading came out to 3.6 which equated to 1040ppm. The correct level is 3000 ppm?Can some one please share what impact low salt levels have in a chlorine pool? I have had some issues with PH rise and scaling in the pool. Below are the latest test results:

1. FC: 2.0
2. PH: 7.8
3. TA: 110
4. CH: 30
5. CYA: 95

I am confused what role salt plays in a chlorine pool. Also according to the charts on the strip bottle it would appear I would need about 350lbs of salt for my pool size!! What form is this salt for pools in?

Thanks

As was said already, salt is not required unless you have a chlorine generator. The generator uses the salt to create chlorine. Some people without chlorine generators add salt to the water because it improves the feel of the water, but it isn't required.

Thanks but it does have an impact on CSI? So should it not be managed to control CSI?
I have a vinyl liner, so I am no expert at managing CSI, but......

There is still no need for salt in a pool managed with liquid chlorine. A well managed & balanced pool should have no issues maintaining a healthy CSI without an additional chemical (eg. salt). I would think that would just be complicating matters.

There are many folks here who manage non-SWG plaster pools just fine without adding salt.

There are also others who do the same with salt, either by necessity (SWG), or optionally for the 'feel' of it.

Dom

EDIT:
After re-reading my post, I think you bring up a good point. Could adding salt help manage the CSI of a pool that is 'troublesome' in some other area (eg abnormal CH, TA, CYA or other issues). While I am not an advocate for 'band-aids', I wonder if salt could be helpful in certain situations.

That is exactly what I am trying to determine whether I can offset negative impact from TA, CYA etc in a chlorine pool with salt since it does impact CSI

I have a vinyl liner, so I am no expert at managing CSI, but......

There is still no need for salt in a pool managed with liquid chlorine. A well managed & balanced pool should have no issues maintaining a healthy CSI without an additional chemical (eg. salt). I would think that would just be complicating matters.

There are many folks here who manage non-SWG plaster pools just fine without adding salt.

There are also others who do the same with salt, either by necessity (SWG), or optionally for the 'feel' of it.

Dom

EDIT:
After re-reading my post, I think you bring up a good point. Could adding salt help manage the CSI of a pool that is 'troublesome' in some other area (eg abnormal CH, TA, CYA or other issues). While I am not an advocate for 'band-aids', I wonder if salt could be helpful in certain situations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.