New Pool Install, Trying to install skimmer

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
So I've just put up my 21' above ground pool. The pool itself was used and came with everything, I've picked up a new liner and skimmer gasket. However now that the pool is installed, liner in place I only have a few inches of water in there now as I still need to work out some wrinkles before I start filling it more.

I started doing some research on how to install the skimmer and return pipe (Going to wait to install skimmer and return until about 2/3rds of water is in). My question is in regards to the skimmer and the gasket, its a 12" wide Hayward one, the gasket I ordered/received its this white looking rubbery thing thats attached in the middle so almost like two flaps (I think the pool guys refer to them as butterfly gaskets).

Now looking online my question is, this the right gasket for my pool and skimmer? Is there no other gasket that sites against the skimmer faceplate and liner itself?

It appears to me that this gasket simply goes against the metal and that's it?

that is the exact gasket you need...

on the outside the gasket will be on the metal

on the inside the gasket goes over the liner and sandwiches the liner to the metal side then the skimmer gets screwed together..

that is the exact gasket you need...

on the outside the gasket will be on the metal

on the inside the gasket goes over the liner and sandwiches the liner to the metal side then the skimmer gets screwed together..

Cowboycasey; thanks for the reply. Then my next question is, how do I get this gasket to install properly so it actually sandwiches the liner on the inside to the wall?

I was under the impression the gasket is basically only against the metal wall and then the liner presses against it and the skimmer faceplate. If it has to sandwich the liner against the wall I'm not sure how one would cut the hole for this?

Installing according to directions, it's not possible to sandwich both the wall and liner with the gasket, because cutting the liner is the final step. All the screws are in and tight before the liner is cut.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Automatic-Surface-Skimmer-SP1091LX.pdf

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought as well! So basically I put the gasket on from the outside, then go in the pool and line the faceplate up against it and cut mount the skimmer and then trace the square hole out.

This pool is somewhat coming together - its being filled as we speak.

Now I just hope I can figure out the previous owners heat pump and filter hooks up below the deck...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.