Crystal clear but chlorine is ZERO!!??

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
Ok panic time here. Had a big party on Sat. Boosted FC chlorine to 8 prior to party, I used 4.5 ppm during the party and then after the party I added FC to a total of 6. Crystal clear the whole time. (Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?)
This morning the FC was at 5, so I thought that was ok considering overnight loss test. (Lost 1)

Right now at 7pm it is clear. Quick test wasn't even yellow. Drop test never got pink!!!!!

oh no! FC is 0

im guessing I need to SLAM??

one wrinkle is that i added about 15 pounds of calcium chloride this afternoon, would that interfere with these tests? That was 7 hrs ago.

Thoughts??!!!!!

Just to save time, I'll post my numbers as of this AM
CYA 30
CH 225 (before today's addition)
TA 110
pH 7.4
FC 5
CC 0

i just took the pool to shock level. I couldn't risk it. So I'm at shock level 12 right now (per the math not the test)

lll do the drop test tonight before bed and then again at 6am. If I'm the same I assume I'm ok. If not, I'll boost back to 12 and leave work early.

This is day 67 for my new pool and I have had pure perfection everyday so far. Oh no!!!!!

john

So at 5:30 am I did two consecutive drop tests. First was 11ppm and second was 10.5ppm. Still crystal clear.

I guess i conclude that the calcium chloride had organic contamination or that the big party I had left some high chlorine demand that didn't show in the post party tests.

I just added another 1ppm bleach bc I'm terrified. Off to work.

If if anyone has any ideas on what happened, please chime in. I assume, at least, that I kept any potential problem under control with the SLAM.

So at 5:30 am I did two consecutive drop tests. First was 11ppm and second was 10.5ppm. Still crystal clear.

I guess i conclude that the calcium chloride had organic contamination or that the big party I had left some high chlorine demand that didn't show in the post party tests.

I just added another 1ppm bleach bc I'm terrified. Off to work.

If if anyone has any ideas on what happened, please chime in. I assume, at least, that I kept any potential problem under control with the SLAM.
What was your OCLT starting level?

Were your CC's still 0.0?

Dom

If this were my pool I would stay at shock level and repeat the OCLT until I was well below 1ppm loss. You're right on the cusp of failing the OCLT, don't chance it.

Dom

I got home from work early. FC is 7ppm, CV is 0ppm. (dropped from 12 FC at 6am) buts it's full sun and now noon.

Ok I agree. I'll go back to shock level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pool,parties can cause very high chlorine demand. Between kids and drinking adults, many don't leave the water when they need to :).

I agree but I thought I had it under control. Way Above is a link to post party testing and next day testing. It seemed like I handled the party ok. Then 24 hrs later I add calcium and drop to 0.

Water is so sparkling clear right now, just like normal. But I guess my issue is that for the two FC tests first thing in the morning I dropped 1ppm and then 1.5ppm. So that second test implies I keep going. Ug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you were right on the cusp of a full algae bloom due to the high bather load. Had you not heeded your gut and raised the chlorine level when you did, you might not caught it. I didn't notice if you said your pool is covered or not during the day. Is it? If not, that will account for SOME of the chlorine loss.

GC

My wife and I want to get our money worth on the pool... So we host a lot of large parties in excess of 25 ppl. Maybe 2 a month during summer. The first time this happened when I took control of my pool, I panicked as it took 4-5 days for my pool to chill out and get back to 3ppm loss per day. So I decided to raise it 12ppm immediately following the party and rim pump all night. This has worked for me at normalizing loss and getting close to that algae bloom.

My wife and I want to get our money worth on the pool... So we host a lot of large parties in excess of 25 ppl. Maybe 2 a month during summer. The first time this happened when I took control of my pool, I panicked as it took 4-5 days for my pool to chill out and get back to 3ppm loss per day. So I decided to raise it 12ppm immediately following the party and rim pump all night. This has worked for me at normalizing loss and getting close to that algae bloom.

I think that's the perfect idea. I guess the fault here is the party and not the calcium. I read a post from years ago that implied calcium could be contaminated. I thought I was ok since the chlorine still was present after the party and I was high the next morning. But who knows. It didn't have that "perfect" clarity the morning after but I could still see the bottom very well.

Almost time to get a reading on FC after dark so I can get the OCLT going.

Just to complete this:

OCLT this AM

First test- lost 1ppm
Second test - lost 0ppm

A lot of variability considering I did them identically. Last night it was 11 and this AM it was 10 and 11 respectively.

Thanks for the help. We are finished!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.