Dead Algae Always There

Jul 10, 2016
Maynard, MA
My pool AG 27 ft with sand filter is sparkling clear. But after running filter dead algae remain on bottom in clumps. I have tried vacuuming and vacuuming to waste but that does not solve problem. I changed sand, even changed to fine Zeosand but no dice. The algae seem to puff into smoke when I vacuum, and if you step on the algae it disappears. I tried experiment by vacuum to waste, getting pool to look clear, then ran a pump in pool circulating water but bypassing filter completely by keeping it shut off. After 30 minutes I shut off pump and again all the dead algae appeared on bottom. I also tried flocculent and skimmer socks ; nothing works. I have had this problem for seven years now and am about to give up and deal with it, but any suggestions?

You have living algae.

Think of it this way: The only way to get more dead algae after you removed it by vacuuming is for living algae to die.

How are you chlorinating?

I suggest Pool School (link above) and, assuming your CYA level is in acceptable range, then SLAMming (instructions in Pool School.)

I'm having the same issue. Just realized 2 minutes ago, my ladder has holes drilled in it so the water will keep in weighted.... check anything and everything that is in your pool... lights ladders inside, outside and underneath. It is dead algae just gotta find where it's coming from.

I have dime sized pockets of dark brown/green here and there in the mornings after everything settles. My pool also sits 20% shaded under giant pecan trees (and squirrels). I've always assumed it was pollen or other tree-related matter, but would like to know for sure.

CHAD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.