New Above Ground Pool GREEN!

Jul 10, 2016
Saskatchewan
Hello all, I just became a member of the site and need help! I just bought a Intex 16' above ground pool. Filled the pool with water from the back alley which is really crappy water, roughly 4000 gallons. It was brownish green right from the get-go. I am waiting on a legitimate tester that I saw referred on this site, but I bought a strip test kit from Walmart in the meantime. Here are my results:
FC: 3
TCI: 4
ALK: 240+
PH: 8
TH: 450
CYA: 50

Alkalinity and PH were off the charts right after my fill. I added Muriatic acid to bring the PH down. After a couple of days PH was below 7 so I added Borax to bring it back up. I then added a bunch of bleach to get the chlorine levels high, they were about 10 two days ago. I also added Algecide and Pool Magnet because I was concerned that the water I used may have metals in it, this was recommended by the pool store before I found out on this site not to listen to the pool store ?. I haven't added anything for 24 hours and those are the most recent test results. Why is my water still so green? I'm new to pool maintenance and just want my pool to be clean as soon as possible.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Have your water tested for iron. You may need to filter oxidized iron out. Iron tints the water yellow and against the blue liner it will look green. A sequestrant will help keep the non oxidized iron in suspension. Sequestrant levels need to be maintained with weekly doses since it breaks down in chlorine. Metal Magic or Jack's Magic are both good sequestrants.

You still need to get the pH down if this is your most recent test result.

Thanks Zea. This answer does make sense because if I take a pail of water out of the pool it does look yellowish. I read about the metal sequestrants and that's what I asked for at the pool store but they gave me "Pool Magnet". I suppose this won't help my cause? Also just added Muriatic acid, will test again this evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.