Liner Wrinkles

kenmccall

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2009
Macon Ga
I have a new pool about 2 months old and just notice a couple of wrinkles in the deep end around the bottom corner area. Should I be concerned about this? If so how would they get them out with out draining 26K gallons of water? Thanks

I also have the same problem...new pool 2 years ago- each spring we get wrinkles in the shallow end of the pool. How can this be corrected without draining the shallow end of the pool and using wet vacs to suck air out from under liner while pool is refilled with water?..Do I really have to do this every spring? I spoke to the pool builder and he blamed it on the pool deck mason who laid the concrete around the pool claiming that he removed a "drainage pipe"..but I don't think he had anything to do with this problem from what I have been reading b/c the drainage pipe would not have been in that area but under the pool floor{ if I am reading the info correctly in all posts}. It seems that a drain of some sort should have been put in BEFORE the vermiculite was used? What would a french drain have looked like? and where would it have been placed? Ironically, my son filmed bits and pieces during construction for his own curiosity so we just have to find the cd and view it. The basic question is WHAT do we do now? and how do we fix it so the wrinkles don't keep coming back as they are quite noticeable at the shallow end of the pool? Is the biulder responsible for thses wrinkles? Thank you in advance of all answers or suggestions..... Vince

Vince, welcome to TFP!! - I'm a Joisy boy myself :p

To you and Ken, I say this: It will be practically impossible to get the wrinkles out without draining a lot of water :(

As Matt (MEvan [Hi Matt! :wave: good to see you back here! how're those faux rocks doing?]) said a 'french drain' or a well point combined with a good drainage system is needed to prevent the problem from reoccurring every spring.

I'll make a small assumption that both of you have a hill somewhere around the pool which feeds snowmelt or rain water towards the pool :x You may also have clay soil or bedrock under the pool which slows the absorption of that surface water causing a build- up of ground water beneath the liner, which subsequently causes the wrinkles :grrrr:

The fix for this year is to drain the water down enough to remove the wrinkles (thank God your liners are ~ new!!) and dig well points or install curtain drains to prevent this from happening every year (as the liner ages, it will be more difficult to remove these wrinkles :!: , so do the drainage NOW :hammer: )

We did have a drain put into the pool so water could be pumped out from behind the liner if that is the case. We do have a clay base soil so I knew it would be slow to drain with all of the rain we had. But it also looks like some of the bottom filler has came loose or disappeared in the deep end where the slope meets the bottom. I believe it is caused by the PB not leveling out the clay bottom and slope and putting a uniform layer of the filler. Or it is also where the main drain line comes up the side which could have a small leak. They are suppose to be out this week sometime so we will see.

My lot is also very level and the PB did a good job on the deck to make sure the rain water goes away from the pool.

Ken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.