I am new to the group. I have never been on one of these before. I need help.

Hi and welcome to TFP,

We can help. But that help is based on getting a quality test kit and testing and balencing your own water. I'm going to post some links at the bottom for reading to help understand what we teach. As for your chlorine, how high it needs to be is dependent on what your CYA number is. There is a link at the top of the web page called pool math that can help you calculate how much of what to add to your pool. But you really need to accurately know what your numbers are from a good test kit.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Do some reading in those links and post questions here. There will be no shortage of knowledgable people here to help you.

Welcome!

Aimee has you off to a good start you are going to need a good kit so we can help you understand what is going and give suggestions on a course of action.

Just so you know rain does not normally affect chemical balance in any appreciable way and it is possible to have algae and still have clear water. Most of the pool store remedies for algae will just knock it down and clear the water but not get rid of all the algae and you end up on a tread mill of sorts. If you are willing to read through Pool School and let us guide you you will end up with a pool that has no algae and does not require regular shocks to maintain crystal clear water.

I have been using the test strips from our local pool supply store. Had to resort to hth from walmart because i ran out of my regular strips and they were closed for the weekend. So what your are saying is I should get the chemistry kit type for the most accurate results. hth said my cya was about 100. Alkalinity 60, PH 7.2 and 0 FC.

So as I see it I need to some how bring down my cya by half.

Last edited:
I have been using the test strips from our local pool supply store. Had to resort to hth from walmart because i ran out of my regular strips and they were closed for the weekend. So what your are saying is I should get the chemistry kit type for the most accurate results. hth said my cya was about 200.

Yep :) a "chemistry" type set

Check out the link I posted that compares several we trust.

Did just that. Thanks. I will get one tomorrow.
I am concerned about the chlorine levels. But now I see I am also having issues with the cya. That is if the strip is registering correctly.
I was looking at one of your other threads about using liquid bleach to raise chlorine levels. I tried using your chart and it looks like I may need 2 gal to get it where it should be. does this sound right to you? Or should I worry about getting the cya down first?

Did just that. Thanks. I will get one tomorrow.
I am concerned about the chlorine levels. But now I see I am also having issues with the cya. That is if the strip is registering correctly.
I was looking at one of your other threads about using liquid bleach to raise chlorine levels. I tried using your chart and it looks like I may need 2 gal to get it where it should be. does this sound right to you? Or should I worry about getting the cya down first?

Based on experience on this forum, I'd speculate that you never eradicated your algae. But without a good test kit, we can't tell with an overnight chlorine loss test. I didn't plug your numbers into poolmath, but as long as you put your pool volume correctly I'm going to trust pool math is giving you correct answers. There is also a section on the bottom of pool math that will tell you the effects of adding different chemicals. Just make sure to have your volume in there.

I highly reccomend the TF-100. Love mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Also......you aren't likely to find any of the reccomended test kits sold retail. You may find a good Taylor kit but it likely won't include the ever important FAS-DPD chlorine test needed to test chlorine at higher levels.

Only way to get CYA down is drain and refill or reverse osmosis and that can be expensive.

Generally we don't like to tell people to blindly dump chemicals in their pools and trusting strips is tantamount to being blind. But in the interest of keeping the pool from going green I would start with 2 gallons and then 1/2 gallon per day till you can get one of the recommended kits. That will hopefully keep the algae at bay till you can post some results from a trusted kit.