Solar Reel ?

May 15, 2009
Kentucky
I have searched, but I still have not seen an answer to which solar reel seems to be the best option. So I thought I would ask to get some current opinons I'm looking at the low profile rocky but the $$ seem high and I'm afraid no matter which one I get I will need a new one in 4 to 5 years. I like to using my solar blanket this time of year but once the summer gets going here in KY the nights stay in the low 80 so in july I usaly store it until late August. After reading on the forums it sounds like there is some benifit to keeping the cover on the entire season so I would spend some extra $ for a better reel that I can leave under the diving board, but I like to get the most bang for the buck, any suggestion?

I just purchased and received the "Deluxe" reel from Inyo Pools online. Paid $214 with shipping. Easy to put together (just need power drill, 1/2" bit, 5/32" bit and 7/16" nut driver.) and so far it seems to be well built for the money. It even came with the "optional" caster set so I can wheel it around the pool if need be. With casters folded its a mere 17" high and should tuck under your diving board.

I had a 18 x 36 inground from '89-'97 and bought a Fehergard reel with large white wheels that rolled it anywhere, no sag, had to use chocks that came with it to lift the wheels onto to keep it from rolling. Loved it and wish they made one for my 22 x 44 inground.

I bought a "professional" grade reel for my current pool that was guaranteed not to sag from IN The Swim. It is on its 3rd year and sags almost to the ground. The cover bunches up in the middle and it takes 2 people to reel it up as we have to keep tugging on the edge of the cover to take out the bunching as we reel it up.

I called the reel company and they sent me 2 longer inside pieces that span the joints. The tubing comes in 5 pieces with 2 of them spanning the joints of the 3 outside ones. Would not buy it again.

I miss the Fehergard, but my pool is wider and longer so the cover certainly weighs more now. Maybe nothing out there will handle a 22' x 44' solar cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.