Hayward 1 HP Super Pump burning out.. replace motor, replace pump, other?

AnAltruist

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2016
Near Toledo, Ohio
We've been running our pump 24/7 having come back from a lot of traveling and opening the very pool late. We just finished getting everything stabilized but the pump has been very loud. Just yesterday it started to get even louder and smell. I noticed the label getting a little brown. I'm sure it's just a day or two away from a burn out.

There is a very tiny leak coming from it somewhere because the concrete beneath it is just slightly wet. Nothing dramatic. It isn't near the other equipment so I'm not going to blame the other stuff. No dripping seen from the connections.

With all of this going on, can anyone offer advice/experience on the next best step? We're in NW Ohio so the pool is not open year-round. I can replace the motor with a like-for-like single speed 1 HP for $160. An energy efficient motor is closer to $200. Because of the leak and the heat generated leading up to imminent failure, is the collateral damage not worth just the motor?

The Super Pump is at least 10 years old so I'm wondering if technology has advanced enough to justify replacing the whole unit. The confusing part there is I see whole units for the same price as the motor and all the way up.

I have Amazon Prime and a Leslie's close by. I can last a few days if I need to. If I have to make a change, I'd rather do something that is going to be beneficial for a while, potentially save electricity, but not require four years for electrical payback.

Thanks!

Attachments

• equipment-setup.jpg
    equipment-setup.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 40
  • superpump-label.jpg
    superpump-label.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
I did go on the site and run the energy calculator. It didn't like when I entered my existing 1 HP pump for a pool my size which makes me wonder if that was even the appropriate model to begin with.

I've tried looking at their catalog but the sorting part of the site isn't working well in either of my browsers. With all of the models they have it's reminding me of how fun shopping for a robot cleaner was. That's part of the reason why I was hoping to get some personal experience stories.

I've only been active with this pool for a week or two. This is our first season after buying this house so it's a lot to take in at once.

I'm also trying to see if just replacing the motor and resealing the apparent leak is work the trouble.

The more I read the more I agree that replacing the whole thing might be easier. I'm open the the variable speed but I can't seem to get anywhere selecting the right model.

Amazon has the Super Pump SP2602VSP for $400 with Prime shipping. This seems like a steal (or fluke) considering other vendors there are selling it for $700+. It is well reviewed though there is a notice that the SP2303VSP is now out. It's $900. There are some very recent reviews stating that they failed shortly after using them but the majority of reviews are positive.

Then there is a Max Flo SP2302VSP for $630. I'm not clear what the difference is. My simple logic suggests that replacing a super pump with a VSP super pump for $400 is too easy but sounds good on paper.

I'm thinking I should pull the trigger on the Amazon Super Pump purchase in case they change the price. Camelcamelcamel (Amazon price tracker) also shows it recently dropped down from $800. Amazon is the vendor and it does not say anything about being refurbished. I'm willing to roll the dice to save $3-400 with the off chance I have to get a warranty replacement.

I don't get what the big deal is with variable speed. I got the cheapo 1 speed. I run it for 4 hours every night. Keeps my pool clean. When people are swimming I keep it running. Otherwise it's off.

I honestly think I may run it too much, I could probably get away with 3 hours a night.

I think if it weren't for the fact I'm getting it for the lower price, I would be right there with you. It does take me a bit longer to turn the water over but there is no way I'd be paying $900 for a pump.

Shame on me if the discount is because they are too unreliable.

Just to close this out I did receive the Hayward SP2602VSP variable speed pump. Since my sub-$400 purchase it is up to $438 on Amazon. It did not take long at all to setup. it was just a hair taller than my old Super Pump and I was concerned it wasn't going to align. I was amazed just how quiet easy to wire versus the old pump. Ran it overnight since I haven't had water circulation in a few days and it did just fine. I'll have to start reading recommendations on the speeds and duration others are running it at. Around 1500 I'm sure I got a cycle but there's barely any movement near the skimmer. This is probably where the 2 hours of higher speed comes in then back down for general circulation.

Assuming it stays reliable it seems like a nice pump. I'll probably keep my old setup around just in case. It would only need a replacement motor from the looks of it.

Thanks for the utility company recommendation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.