Questions regarding hard piping a Bestway soft side pool

Jul 10, 2016
Boaz, KY
As I sit, waiting on water to drain, getting ready to re level our Bestway 14x42 SteelPro pool (10 inches of rain caused one side to sink), I have questions about upgrading our pump. We are planning to upgrade to a sand filter pump, most likely an Intex model, and, I would like to hard pipe the connections. I currently have a Intex intake/outlet fitting set from our old pool, that was never used. I plan to remove the nipple fittings, and install these, plus one more for the second intake opening. I would like to use PVC elbows, and ball valves coming out of these fittings, rather than use the Intex plunger valves that are available (past experience with the plunger valves was not good). Is there an "idiot proof" guide to what fittings are needed to mate to Intex plumbing?

Thanks for any guidance offered!

David

Hi, welcome to TFP! We have some links that detail other members modifications and hard plumb projects. Keep in mind Intex likes to keep things interesting and changes up the size of adapters and fittings every season, depending on the size of the pool. Measure the openings on the pool or across the fittings you plan to use. I think the different intex sand filter/pump combos might have different size fittings. You should be able to look it up once you decide on the filter. Personally I would go for the largest one, which is rated 3000 gph.

here are some links:
New above ground oval 18x33 install
Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners

Lots of useful info there! Thank you! Another quick question, since it appears I will need to basically fabricate what I need, is there a source for the Intex collar nuts? Short of ordering some cheap replacement hoses, and, butchering them for the nuts, I can not find a source for them. One would think it would be a readily available part.

David

An easier way to plumb to the intex sand filter pump is to replace your pool wall fittings with 1.5" hayward inlet/outlet fittings. You are going to cut the nipples out of the pool wall anyways.That is what I did.Game brand has 2 intex adaptors in one package that is 40mm(intex size) to 1.5".I hard plumbed from the hayward inlet outlets to pvc with pvc valves.from there, I used the game adaptors then intex hoses to my pump/ sand filter.you could hard plumb all the way to your pump and install a second pair of the game adaptors. I didn't for ease of disassembling the pvc and storing for winter.

here's a picture of my pool.The pool is about 7 years old, I think. I kept the one inlet, cut a new hole for the skimmer, kept the original outlet, and cut a second outlet.

image_zpsipk7r3vc.jpeg

here's a hayward inlet outlet fitting

image_zpsz9a3grp5.jpeg

here is the adaptor
image_zpsiom3np0i.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.