Best SWG for above ground pools?

Jun 29, 2016
Plattsburgh NY
Good Morning,

After being frustrated with my pool to no end (DE filter on the fritz, etc), I've decided to invest in all new equipment so I can actually enjoy my pool for the remainder of the season.

Along with a brand new 23 inch sand filter and 1.5 hp pump, I'm interested in going SWG for my pool as well, as I do not have a lot of time during the week for general maintenance. Im looking at the Hayward Aqua-Rite, but was wondering if there was a "recommended brand" that you guys would point me to. Thanks!

I don't have any opinion on brands, but what you see most of here are the Pentair Intellichlor, Hayward Aquarite and Circupool. Occasionally, I've also seen Jandy Aquapure and SGS Breeze. This link has a variety of saltwater chlorinators listed: Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Whatever, you choose, buy the next size up from the size you think you need.

For example, the Hayward T-Cell-9 may be rated OK, but would require 11 hours of average daily run time. The T-Cell-15 would require 5.5 hours. You may not be wanting to run your pump for 11 hours!

Pools should not be frustrating!! Good luck with your upgrade :)

I have the circupool and am still trying to figure out run time. Mine is rated for 40K gallons and my pool is only about 14,500K gallons and I know already that it can't keep up with full sun and +/- 4 kids daily at 75% with the pump running 8hrs on low. I am bumping it up to 100% and then will start playing with pump run time if it still can't keep up. I really did not want to be running the pump much more than 8hrs but from what I can see it is normal to have to run the pump longer with the SWG, which is why it is really important to get a 2 speed pump.

My friend who maintains pools for a living said my system was nicer than most he sees and it has a self cleaning cell which he has not seen before on the cheaper models. There was a SWG comparison chart and that is what I used to decide on the one I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is - Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

One thing I love about mine is the clear cell housing.

This link has a variety of saltwater chlorinators listed: Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

For example, the Hayward T-Cell-9 may be rated OK, but would require 11 hours of average daily run time. The T-Cell-15 would require 5.5 hours. You may not be wanting to run your pump for 11 hours!

Ha, sorry for posting the link again. One question, how did you figure out the 11hrs / 5.5hrs. I would love to figure out how long the manufacture thinks I should be running my swg to see how it is matching up with actual run time.

Hmmm, based on that I would only have to run my pump 5hrs at 75% instead of 8hrs at 100% (which I have yet to see if it will hold it). I wonder if I have algae or something brewing I cannot see. Guess I will do a OCLT tonight and see what is going on. Or maybe it is because I am running the pump at low. I will start a new thread.

So in response to the original post, my SWG should be performing better than I am experiencing right now.

Planning to check with an OCLT shows that you've got TFPC well in hand :)

FC consumption varies a lot depending on bather load and other factors, so it's possible you just need more run time. But the OCLT will help you to know for sure, and also to know what you can improve.

And sorry, to answer your question, your SJ40 chlorinating 14,500 gals supplies about 0.6 ppm per hour.
"1.7 (lbs FC per day)" divided by "24 (hours)" divided by "14500 (gals)" divided by "8.33 (lbs per gal)" times "one million" = "ppm FC per hr"

Typical consumption is around 2.5 ppm FC per day, but each pool and situation is different. One pool might be kept covered, have low bather load, and use only 0.5 ppm per day. Others with lots of grandies might use 4 or 5 ppm per day on a hot, sunny, big family day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.