First week of pool ownership, trying to dial in the water chemistry...

May 17, 2016
Central IN
Hello there!

So, we are somewhat moved in and adjusting to life with a new-to-us pool :p

I ordered the wrong test kit on accident, wanted the TF-100 but ended up with the Taylor k-2006. Seems decent enough so far, but will grab the tf-100 next year probably.

A few questions from someone who doesn't know what they are doing lol...

Initial CYA test.. I could see the dot even after filling the whole tube... Does that mean my cya is super high or super low? Guessing super low, and probably need to add stabilizer.

My ph and ta are high... I keep getting it to touch down in the normal range, but it quickly bounces back to being high again. I initially added a whole gallon of muriatic acid a few days ago (added in quarter gallon increments until it came down to normal) but it crept back up, then added a half gallon, noticed today it's back up high again.

If my CYA is out of whack, could that be causing the high ph?

My swg generator is running at about 40% and that seems to be keeping the chlorine in the right range. When we moved in, the previous homeowner had it set as high as it will go... I suppose it's fine to leave it at 40% as long as it's maintaining good chlorine levels?

Also, my swg seems to need the pump running at about 3,000 rpm to keep the swg flow light green. Is that excessive?

I am going to do another round of tests today and punch everything into the pool math form and see what the magic calculator tells me to do :). Just wanted to get some idea in whether some of this stuff is normal :). Thanks so much!!!!

hi! I'm no where like any of the experts around these parts, but let me see if I can help.
question 1:If you fill the tube to the top on the cya test, you have 0 cya
2: ph & ta high yes, they go up together and you are doing thr right thing, but will keep adding acid in your current dosing until you can get your ta down. To raise your ph you can aerate
3:cya level will not effect your ph, but your swg will. Swgs cause aeration, thereby raising ph.They do not effect your ta
4: swgs have a flow switch in them, so yes it is possoble that a low speed will keep it from operating
Hope that helps!
Happy Sunday!

Post up a full set of numbers when you get them that way we can see the full picture. Speaking of pictures one of your equipment pad would be a good idea. 3000 rpm seems a bit high to get the SWG to be happy it is possible but a picture may help explain if all is as it should be.

Ok, folks :)

free chlorine: 1 ppm
combined 0 ppm
ph 7.4
ta 250 (omg!!)
ch 330
salt level is 3200

i took a pic of the setup, but, I may have to upload it tomorrow since I can't figure out how to do it on my iPhone.

with th TA being high... I do have the ability to aerate.. We have 5 laminar jets... Those would help, right?

thanks for looking at this :)

Reading the pool math stuff now :). And yes, dialed up the swg to 100% to make more chlorine :). Also, do I need to shut off the swg when I add acid? I can't find anything online that says I need to, but, think I saw something saying the swg should be shut off if you add other chemicals...

I am still learning as well but you might want to add some liquid chlorine to help the SWG. I have learned that having a SWG does not mean you'll never add chlorine. The pros can tell you where you should be once they know everything about your pool. I keep mine between 5/6ppm. Before I have a party I up it to 7/8ppm with chlorine. My SWG is set at 80%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okies... so... the pool math is telling me to add a bunch of stabilizer (either 277 oz liquid, or 107 by weight/111 by vol). Also will begin working with the adding acid/aeration process in order to get the TA down.

Is it cool to add the stabilizer with the SWG running? Pooldv said it's ok to add acid with it running (I have been adding it in front of the jets, so it gets to mix in a bit before being sucked into the skimmers).. just being sure the stabilizer is okay to run through the swg as well.

I grew up with a sand filter and a chlorinator we added the pellets to... so this whole set-up is completely unfamiliar to me. I definitely don't want to ruin a salt cell from making a silly mistake.

Ooh also, since I'm in front of an actual computer right now, I can upload a few photos of the setup....

IMG_8061.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

IMG_8062.jpg

It will say "conditioner" or "stabilizer".

The solid takes longer to dissolve, but is less expensive than the liquid.

To apply solid stabilizer to the pool, you'll want to put it into a sock and either suspend the sock in front of a return (don't let the sock rest against the side), or place the sock in the skimmer basket and run the pump 24/7 until dissolved. Running your SWG should be ok while dissolving it.

I just realized in your post you were saying you were pouring the acid in front of a jet. That's perfect - pour it very slowly. I also, just to be safe, always brush the bottom around and near the return after adding muriatic acid to make sure none of it made it down there and is "pooling".

Goto Lowes and get the 4lb one for under 20 bucks (brand is clorox). It's small pellets. Yes you can have SWG on when putting conditioner on the pool.

400f8026a2785d966c5837c0361250fb.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.