Vacation

May 7, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Hello all! I'm curious how you handle maintaining your pool while on vacation for a week? How do you ensure chlorine levels stay up and you don't have an algae outbreak or something else? If I filled the "floating duck" with chlorine tabs, how much would I see my CYA increase? We are at 40 for CYA and have an 11,500 gallon pool. We had to empty 3/4 of our pool to get our CYA down at the beginning of summer and I am scared to death of having to do that again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There is a drop down at the bottom of Pool Math that will tell you how much CYA and FC you will get out of a tab based on weight. For a week I don't think a floater would completely empty in that time frame but you can calculate as if it would for worst case scenario. A 3" tablet weighs 7oz

Most of the posts I see people bring the pool up to or near SLAM level and anchor the floater out in the deep end so it does not get stuck near a return and dissolve too quickly or in a corner and bleach out the surface.

Edit...

Just found THIS chart, assuming it is accurate and I have no reason to believe it is not it will give you a rough idea how many tabs you need. Their tabs are 8 oz but we are not making rocket fuel here close enough.

I bring the pool to SLAM level and then use a floater with tablets equal to 2 ppm FC/day. if the pool is covered 1 ppm is probably more in line. So for your pool specifically and assuming you don't have a solar cover on I would raise the FC to 16 and put 23 ounces of tablets in (3-4 3" tablets) for a full week. This will raise your CYA by about 8 ppm so retest your CYA after you get home and adjust your FC from there, but as long as it isn't a continuous thing a small increase won't hurt.

if you plan to take several week long trips this summer then other options may need to be explored.

I was at the same place as you and when I did the tabs for 7 days I got a cya increase of 10, not too bad. Also got back to a fc of 3. I also overfilled to about 3/4 up the skimmer to cover evaporation before I left.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.