In the SLAM process. Numbers so far and some other questions.

May 22, 2014
Newmanstown PA
Part I:

I started the open and SLAM process Friday evening when I got home. At the time the pool was a medium shade of green from an algae problem. Currently the pool is a cloudy blue. I can see about a 1/3 of the way down.

FRI
FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: >9?
TA: 370
CH: 125ppm
CYA: Water went to the top and I could still see the black dot.
Cl: 0
Br: 0

Sat
FC: 1
CC: 1.5
PH: 8.5 - 9?
TA: 350
CH: 50ppm
Cl: .5
Br: 1

Sun
FC: 14.5
CC: 0
PH: 8.5 - 9?
TA: 310
Cl: 5
Br: 10

Mon
FC: 0.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.2
TA: 250
CYA: 36
Cl: .5
Br: 1

Part II (no further action needed - can skip):
After checking the levels this morning I proceeded to brush the walls and vacuum the bottom. The water was a cloudy blue and looking great in such a short period of time. If I had to guess I could probably see about a 1/3 of the way down. The pool is roughly 54" high. About 15 minutes into vacuuming the pool I noticed the water was looking really green in some spots. I assumed it was due to me hitting a bad spot and moving the stuff on the bottom around. I got off the deck went to the other side and noticed the vacuum line suction piece was off of the skimmer. So I turned the pool off and figured I'd just let the filter do it's thing for the next few hours. When turning it back on I noticed a jet stream of brownish and greenish dirt coming back into the pool. I turned everything off and figured maybe I needed to backwash even though the gauge only went up about 5 psi over the past 3 days. During backwash the water looked fine so I stopped it after about a minute then set the filter back up for filtration mode and again brownish and greenish water came out. Now my water looks like it did on Friday.

What should I do? Should I just keep SLAMing and let the filter do it's thing? One thing I personally hate to do is vacuum. I don't usually bother because the I never really got good suction. I relied a lot on my pool rover. Is there any easier way to vacuum? Maybe my NAMCO stuff is just junk? It would be cool if I could use some PVC to put some sort of adapter in to be able to vacuum since I seldom have luck through the skimmer.

Part III (no further action needed - can skip):
Do you have to purge air every single time you turn a pump back on? It's a pain in the butt and I was hoping with my new pump and sand filter setup that I wouldn't have to anymore. It seems like every time I go between filter, waste, etc and take the skimmer bucket out to dump it I get air in the system and I have to purge it. I assume people on timers don't have this problem, so what do you all do? I would love not to do this anymore.

-Judd

You mention that you are SLAMing but it doesn't seem like you are following the steps listed for a SLAM, here is the process, SLAM Process. PH should have been lowered to 7.2 at the start. How often are you adding chlorine? What is your target FC level? With no CYA you will need to add more chlorine every couple of hours. Have you added any CYA? Per the SLAM process it should be 30-40 ppm. Here is how to add CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

If you are constantly getting air in the pump/filter it is usually a suction leak, more here, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Ooops. I don't know how I missed that about the PH. I will try to correct this ASAP. Sorry... It appears to be about 8 now, so it's coming down which is good.

I added 3 bottles of 8.25% generic 64 oz bottles of bleach Friday and Saturday night, then again around 10, this morning. I was adding a little on the higher side just because my pool wasn't open for two seasons and my brain though, "shock it good." Target FC I was just going by the Pool Math and wanting it near 5-6. I honestly didn't realize I'd jump it up so high, so fast. BUT since I have no CYA, I will have to keep adding chlorine bleach anyhow. I have not added CYA. I will need to pick some up tomorrow when the store opens.

As far as the air, thanks for the link. I always heard a sisss sound from the skimmer and in addition to that I see a cyclone in the new pump skimmer basket area now. Maybe I should just get a nice skimmer bucket and pvc from there to the pump since the skimmer bucket seen better days.

New numbers are below. With the pool still cloudy should I just keep adding bleach until it clears up? Do my "target" numbers (in parenthesis) seem find?

Thank you everyone!

Tue
FC: 6 ppm (5)
CC: 0 (?)
PH: 7.6 (7.6)
TA: 280 (70)
CH: 75 ppm (175)
CYA: 36 (40)
Cl: 5 (?)
Br: 10 (?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.