Screen Enclosure For Pool

I would suggest that you do some research and decide what you want built before you have contractors start bidding. You need to specify the dimensions, shape, material of construction, how it's anchored, and the number and size of doors. The frame and type of screen will impact the cost a great deal and you should decide what you want. Another important item is the design wind load - is it going to just set on the ground and get blown over the first time the wind gets to 25 mph or is it going to withstand hurricane force winds?

This is one of those projects where a visit to a Civil Engineer could end up saving you a lot of money and a lot of grief down the road. It would not take a good Civil Engineer very long to draw up a layout and write a set of specifications that would let you know what you are getting before it's built, and I don't think it would be very expensive.

jagfan, are you looking for a typical Florida pool enclosure? Seems like every contractor I spoke to offered the same type of structure - aluminum frame engineered to 130mph winds per FL building code, and in Duval county, needed permitting and inspections... however, I don't know about Clay county. Anyway, I've never seen another kind of enclosure - maybe I need to get out more...

Yes, know what you want in terms of size and shape, but I've never seen anything besides what I've described above. We went with Stanley Pools and Screens, who did a great job for us. Look for their sign as you cross the Buckman.... but ultimately, be sure you use someone licensed and experienced. I don't need to tell you, there are many good ones around (and some not so good.) :wink:

Jmas65
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Sorry I really didn't better describe it. I'm in Doctor's Inlet/OP and am familiar with Stanley Pools. Glad to know they do good work. I may give them a call. So far I have two proposals, getting another tomorrow morning. Are you familiar with ScreenWorks on Blanding Blvd? They designed a nice enclosure and are the front runners so far.

No, I don't know screen works - which doesn't mean they wouldn't do a great job. Look at some of their other jobs and go with your gut. Whoever you choose, though, do make sure that they are licensed and will build to code.

Hey No-Mas,

Go Gators! By The Way.

Do you remember how much it cost to do your screen enclosure? I want to do one for the pool here in Lithonia, GA (Greater Atlanta area), but I have not found any reliable contractors in the area, so I was thinking of getting the handy folks in the family together for a big DIY.

From your experience with your own enclosure is it possible that this could be a DIY Project?

I am from Florida myself, and one thing I noticed up here was that no one really did the pool screen enclosures, when I called the local building places, they did not even know what an extruded aluminum frame was :-|

duraleigh said:
...Ice and snow will quickly bring it to the ground :cry: :cry:

OMG - I'm so dense. I always wondered why there are so few of these things outside of Florida. Makes sense, Dave.

Manasia, Go Gators! :cheers: While the structure is engineered to withstand hurricane force winds, it is a given that the screens will blow out in a strong windstorm. Rescreening isn't a huge deal, but it's something that you don't want to do any more than you have to. I imagine it wouldn't take much snow/ice to cause the screens to give way. I wasn't on site when mine was built, so I wouldn't be a great judge of whether it is a diy job or not. I don't recall exactly how much my enclosure was, but will look it up if you're still interested.

jagfan, call Doug Hill at 904-891-6324 or contact at [email protected]
Use me as a referral. He is the best and very competetive. We used him after getting many quotes. Look at our pool build in the sig bar.

Thanx Duraleigh. I did not look at like that. I saw someone with a screen porched but it was made with wood. I Think I am going to abandon the idea, I am not in Florida anymore.

Hey no-mas do not worry about looking it up. I am just gonna go get some wooden picket fence, and surround the pool and call it a lifetime LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.