how long do you give it?

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
We have been trying to maintain our FAC since 7/2.
7/2 it was 3
7/3 it was 2 and we added bleach because we needed to get it up quickly bc we were having a party
7/4 it was 4 with bleach
7/7 it was 2.5 and pH was 7.8. Turned the SWG to 40%
yesterday the quick test said the chlorine was 5 (which I somehow doubt) - I have ordered more of the FAC stuff. So I have been using the quick test.
today it was 2. (eeking out a tiny bit of powder from our test kit)

A couple days ago it said check cell. we reset it and it seems fine. we never reset it after we turned it on after the plaster redo.

how long do you give it to bring the chlorine up? we are trying to see if it's not working. it's hot here and my husband doesn't want to add bleach bc he says we won't know if the SWG is working or not. It's a Hayward SWG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that's the problem - can't get it to dial in. it's going up and down like a yo-yo

Yes, but you aren't starting out with a good, consistent quantity of free chlorine SWG's simply don't work well at going from a real low number but they are really good at keeping a number steady. Thats why I suggested that you get the correct value with some bleach and then let the SWG hold that value, not turn it up to 100% and then try to figure the correct number out by turning it back down.

I'd suggest getting the FC up to whatever amount you require and then setting the SWG to 50%. Check it the next day. If it is much lower, add bleach (just like before) and try 75%. If it is holding or just slightly dropping, your good. If the number goes up, don't just turn it way down, lower it 10% at a time and let it go a day or two.

Yes, but you aren't starting out with a good, consistent quantity of free chlorine SWG's simply don't work well at going from a real low number but they are really good at keeping a number steady. Thats why I suggested that you get the correct value with some bleach and then let the SWG hold that value, not turn it up to 100% and then try to figure the correct number out by turning it back down.

I'd suggest getting the FC up to whatever amount you require and then setting the SWG to 50%. Check it the next day. If it is much lower, add bleach (just like before) and try 75%. If it is holding or just slightly dropping, your good. If the number goes up, don't just turn it way down, lower it 10% at a time and let it go a day or two.

What he said ^^

Your CYA may be a little low as well. See the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

What brand/model of cell do you have? See the following page for a calculator that will help determine the time required to run the SWG. Formula for SWG / Pump Runtime?

It is recommended to use Pool Math and bleach to get your FC to at least the target level, higher is better. Something like (Target FC + Daily FC Loss + 1). Then you dial in your SWG until you know that it is able to replace the 24 Hr FC Demand. The idea is to keep your pool from going below the minimum while you dial in the % and run time.

Post the diagnostic readings with the SWG turned on at 100%. The results will tell us if it is making chlorine or not.

it's making chlorine. Did the test and it said 90. don't know what that means.

It's up to 3 now but I don't consider that high enough for our weather. I added bleach today. I will check and see where we are again. My other tests I did last night are good - TA is 80, CYA is 80, pH is 7.6, CH is 350

My Pentair IC40 was bouncing around like that too until I raised my CYA to 80. It is much better now. Our pool is in full sun starting at 10am and stays that way until around 7-8pm. In addition, to full sun the Houston heat is brutal and that is likely a cause as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.