Rain flooded pool pump area

rdshackleford

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
Coatesville, PA
For the first season ever, and the 2nd time this year, my pool pump area was flooded with rain water and the pump motor got 1/2 submerged. This time I was not at home at the time to unplug the pump, and it short circuited, possibly for good.

I'm thinking the best way to avoid this in the future is to pour a concrete pad and raise the setup 4" or 5". Opinions?

PumpFloodedAgain.jpg

I have two storm drains attached on the same line as my sand filter drain. If things are angled properly, nothing comes out of the drains when you backwash. I don't think you want to have standing water anywhere near the vicinity of that equipment.

My pool is within a flood zone, on a creek that infested with beavers - with dams. I did this many years ago after losing my second pump. Remember, 4X4 and 6X6 are ground contact, unless marked, other lumber is not. I used some cutoff 6X6's and framing lumber. I'm a retired deck & porch builder so I had plenty of material. I elevated the pump as high as I could. Once I change out the filter and put it on a base I can center the pump on the stand. I'd include the photo but apparently I have exceeded my quota.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C3, no I don't want the flood water at the pump, but fixing my drainage issues would be a very long and expensive project. I hope to some day.

I'm thinking pouring concrete won't be more difficult than building a wood platform. The tough part is moving all the sand and redoing all the very old plastic pipe connections.

That is a smaller version of a car booster cable clamp. I used it for the bonding wire. In the case of an electrical storm, I like to isolate the pump from surges on all fronts!

I would like to find a nicer sort of quick disconnect for that. Maybe a twist-lock something.

I certainly agree with isolating the pump in case of a storm. But my experience with lightning indicates that the only way to really protect it is to take it inside the house! What lightning wants, lightnings gets. I've been in that business. But a disconnect will protect against the easy strikes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.