Pentair Quad DE 100 returning DE, Air bleed with no screen, questions!

Mar 25, 2013
Poway, CA
Just finished cleaning all the cartridges and did not see any holes. Was very careful on reassembly to make sure all elements seated correctly, and manifold seated properly.

On startup, shortly after pouring slurry into skimmer, saw DE returned through all three returns. Three hours later, there is a small layer of silt on bottom.

I don't remember it doing this last time I cleaned it. I just ran a suction cleaner (MX8 Elite) to see if the cart's just needed to be coated, but there is material floating in the water still.

Googling the issue results in 3 possible issues:
1) Tear in cartridge or not seated
2) Backwash valve bypassing (although due to the high amount, I would doubt that)
3) Torn Air Bleeder sock screen

I must have an older Quad DE, because there is NO screen, and the replacement part looks different, and is equipped with a sock/screen.

I just ordered the new style bleeder, but my concern is that it did not do this before.

So 2 questions:
1) Is this the most likely culprit? Why did I not experience this on the last cleaning?
2) Am I missing something?

The cost of cartridges is 2/3 the price of a whole new unit, so I'd like to avoid replacement, if possible.
Thanks!
Dave

from a pure guess going of almost the same "cartridge" design, it may be 1, 2, or 3.... the oly way to know is to take it apart and see what is going on... I am hoping a DE person will come along and know exactly what it is :)

We have a quad de 60. We were having trouble with de as well. I *think* the part missing was a sock screen..? Here is a before and after of the part. (below). The part actually came with plastic tube that was no use to us. We removed the screen from the tube and just used the screen. The pool store people called it a filter cap. Once we replaced the cap, the de in the pool gradually cleared out.

Long story on why it was missing.
Here is where we expected to find the filter cap.
27148223485_9b4a9d2908_z.jpg

And here is the part in place.
27148222275_3bd3a289f4_z.jpg

Your air bleed pipe is the newer one, and was missing the screen. Mine is the older style that does not come with the air screen. Not a big deal, but it wasn't doing it before.
Update...after several days, it's not returning DE, so I'm hoping replacing the air bleed pipe with newer style stops it completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.