Does low pH make water use chlorine faster?

Just raised a super low pH up to 7.6. Wondering if the low pH has had anything to do with the jugs of 12.5% chlorine I'm going through (about two a day with CYA of 35)?

Onslow:

A couple of reasons for high chlorine consumption. This is outside the 12.5% chlorine having degraded over time. When I purchased my first large set at a discount, I realized after months of wondering why I was using so much, that the chlorine degraded from 12.5% to about 7%. Please check the date on the bottom of the bottles and report back to us. Outside of this, if the swimming pool is used throughout the day, where you have 8-10 people in the pool, for about 4-6 hours and most of them have sun tan lotion, then you can easily go through about 4ppm-5ppm in one day. I have done some testing to determine how much extra to add in the morning before everyone shows up.

Outside of this, you have "bad stuff" in your pool that needs to be cleared up. All 3 tests must be passed before a SLAM is complete and you will find less chlorine consumption. I use about 1.30 ppm per day when no one is in the pool and about 2 ppm at most with light use.

Question: Please tell us how you are testing your water (with what test kit) and the date on the 12.5% liquid chlorine bottles? Thanks!

LC/bleach also degrades faster if stored outside or in warmer areas. Inside in the laundry room or pantry is better. Raising CYA to 50 will help quite a bit.

Will do. The ph went from 7.5- ish last night to 7.0 today mid-day. Checking the bottles I have left the dates are June 2016. Might try Great Value bleach which has less % but always dependable.

Also, will store bleach inside. Had been kept outside in cases but only for a day or so due to the short turnaround from store to use. Also will raise CYA. Currently using a Taylor kit to do all tests (probably need to get a FAS-DPD test as the Taylor "diluted/multiplied in comparator" tests seem varied).

One other issue (can move to new thread if more appropriate)

The double-panty hose bag of CYA granules I hang out in front of the jet dissolved entirely within the day (no sign of holes in hose). In prior years this took the better part of a week to fully dissolve. Is that normal?

I'm beginning to question the true CYA in the water due to the fast burn-off.

EDIT: Found this thread to answer this question in case anyone interested - CYA dissolving too quickly?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.