NEW Saltwater Pump Not Working

Jul 9, 2016
Marshfield, VT
Hi Folks! I'm new to TFP and really hoping you guys can help. I have a new saltwater pool pump system (Intex) after our old one died. When I set it up (inlet hose letting water into the pump first, and then releasing the outlet hose; not sure if I'm using the right lingo... anyway..) I made sure that the air was out of the system, and I turned it on. It just hummed. I figured it would start in a minute, and I let it do it's thing. Well, it kept humming then started to smell kinda like burning plastic and wisps of smoke came up. I called Intex and after a long conversation, they sent me a new pump motor. Well, I just set that one up tonight taking extra care to make sure that no air was in the system. Yet, again, when I turned it on, it just hummed and did not move water at all. I turned it off, checked the hoses, and even changed the darn hose (thinking maybe something in it was blocked that I couldn't see), and nothing worked. (It should be noted that I disconnected the skimmer and other things inside the pool to make sure there wasn't a blockage there either.) At this point, I don't know what to do... My pool is green (I know, I need to get shock for it), and my relatives are coming to my house in TWO WEEKS. Help!!!

Pictures pictures pictures!!!

Welcome to TFP:wave::wave:

I believe something is blocking water from the pump. Try this: set it up correctly. then disconnect the hose from the pump at the pump. Water should com pouring out of the hose. If not there is the problem.

Pictures and try that.

We don't shock pools on here We SLAM pools. I suggest you read through pool school and learn the TFP method for pool maintenance.

Thank you for your quick response!!!! I have done the disconnect of the hose from the pump on both sides, and each time water pours out. (I don't have a plunger/stopper on the pool side of the outlet hose, so water always pours out.) I have wiggled the hoses, and can see water swish inside the clear tube of the pump (the section with the saltwater generator), but that's the only movement I get. The pump doesn't want to move water at all... I don't understand it.

I would get pics, but it's a complete downpour outside right now.

Pictures pictures pictures!!!

Welcome to TFP:wave::wave:

I believe something is blocking water from the pump. Try this: set it up correctly. then disconnect the hose from the pump at the pump. Water should com pouring out of the hose. If not there is the problem.

Pictures and try that.

We don't shock pools on here We SLAM pools. I suggest you read through pool school and learn the TFP method for pool maintenance.

Disconnect the hose from the pump to the filter. Does the water pour out? If yes but the pump won't run, something is binding the impeller or the shaft.

Disconnect the motor from the system. Plug it in BRIEFLY to see if it runs. If all it does is hum, unplug it immediately and see if you can turn the impeller by hand. Something may be caught in the impeller, or the shaft may be binding in the bearings. It is pretty normal to watch factory motor assemblers smack a new motor with a mallet to "realign" a motor. I DO NOT recommend someone do this without experience! Check to see if there are any Youtube videos on that pump. Even if the filter were completely plugged or valved off, the motor would still run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.