I am a new Intex Easy Set 18' x 48" pool owner. Got the pool set up over the weekend and filled it on Sunday. I am trying to get a handle on chemical levels now. I asked a friend who has had an Easy Set for a few years now what he does for treatment and as a result of that conversation, I got the hth 3 Way Test Kit along with the floaty chlorine dispenser and the trichor tabs, some pH Plus, pH Minus and the Vinyl Pool Shock. I guess I should have come here first. It sounds like the floaty thingy and the tablets are a recipe for disaster as the CYA builds up in the water. Sounds like I need to get a better test kit, some liquid chlorine, some baking soda, and some borax. I have read on the BBB method (great Pool School) and will likely be implementing that.
But here is what I have done so far. I tested the pool on Monday night. No chlorine was detected accroding to the OTO test kit. pH looked to be about 8.0. I "shocked" it according to the package directions and Tuesday afternoon, the chlorine was off the color chart. I also added some pH Minus.
This afternoon the test results were as follows:
The water looks great! It is nice and sparkly and clear.
But then it has only been up for 3 days.
Those are the only values I have since I don't have a good test kit yet.
My questions are:
How quickly does the CYA build up to the point where the chlorine becomes ineffective? Do I need to get a better test kit right away and switch to the liquid chlorine or can I wait a couple of weeks? It seems from what I gathered from the reading I have done here is that I need to test at a minimum FAC, pH, TA, and CYA. Is this correct?
Any other tips or heads up advice would be appreciated as well.
Thanks for your help and for making such a great resource of information available.