Getting vaccum to work

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
I was wanting to vaccum manually. However, I am not sure how to set my valve in order to get the correct suction at the skimmer. Both of my skimmers are on the same side as my jets and as far as I know they are in same line per a pool installer. He said it wasn't ideal. I have a 3 position valve going into the pump and a three position valve coming out of the filter.

You need to make it so that one skimmer is not getting any suction but the other one is getting all the suction. Also, if you have a main drain divert the suction away from that as well. This is the skimmer that you will put the skimmer plate and vacuum hose into.

I am pretty sure with a 3 position valve I would just turn it to one side and use which skimmer is sucking but how do I divert the main drain? Will automatically divert it when I turn one way or the other? I only have options to turn lt ir rt if that makes sense

If you do not have a valve specifically for the min drain then it is likely plumbed through the bottom of the skimmer in the deep end. Take the basket out of that skimmer and look at the bottom if there are 2 open holes that is what you have, one goes to the pump the other goes down to the MD. If that is the case I would just use the other skimmer for the vaccum.

If you cover the hole that shuts off the main drain then you can use that skimmer but if you don't shut the valve so that all the suction comes from that skimmer the suction will shared between the two skimmers and therefor not be as strong as it could be. That may not be a bad thing there can be such a thing as too much suction to the vacuum so I would start with the main drain cover closed and see how it goes. If you think you still need more suction then try shutting the other skimmer down little by little.

I am so aggravated. I just can't get enough suction. I closed one skimmer off via the pivoting cover inside the actual skimmer. Put my hose in front of the return and filled it. Immediately put it in other skimmer. I have a lot of sediment on floor and it wouldn't budge it. What am I doing wrong

Adjust your valves by closing to one or the other suction, then go to each skimmer to see what skimmer the valve is controlling. This will make you learn the valve configuration and you will know what skimmer and valve position does what. Once you know, then you can place all suction at one skimmer. If needed, CAREFULLY place your hand in the skimmer so you can identify when it has the most suction, although you should be able to see the velocity in the skimmer VS dead water in the other. Once you have the valve config figured out label them. There is not a lot to change to figure it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.