how much Bleach?

May 15, 2009
so I hear under normal conditions that you can lose about 2ppm of FC in your pool... Using the pool calculator to raise my FC by 2.6 that takes 1 96oz jug(6% bleach) and to raise it up to 10 to shock it I would need just under 4 jugs(96oz 6%)... thats like 10 jugs a week... assuming all other chemicals at the recommended level... is 10 jugs a week about what others are putting into their pool????????

thanks

the pool store plan is to keep chlorine constant (tab feeder), shock weekly, and use a polyquat 60 algaecide. without getting into all the good info I've learned here, basically TFP recommends keeping your free chlorine levels at a certain level by testing daily (see chlorine/cya chart in pool school) which eliminates the need for shocking and algaecide.

I typically use around one 174 oz jugs of 6% from Wal-mart a week, lately its been 1 96 oz jug, not much FC demand right now. In the heat of the summer, that may increase a bit but I've never used more than 2 in a week. I keep my pool covered when not in use, this dramatically cuts down on FC loss. I only shock my pool when I close - or if I'm going on a week-long vacation.

I am using almost 2 gals a week.. we have been having lots of people over and i keep the FC a little higher then normal.. This will sound weird and I am a new BBB user but i can almost tell how much Bleach to ADD before i even test.. Just by the amount of use and how long its been uncovered.. But i do test any way just to make sure!!! the sun really eats up the chlorine.. We always keep a weeks supply of bleach on hand...

hayfarmer said:
I am using almost 2 gals a week.. we have been having lots of people over and i keep the FC a little higher then normal.. This will sound weird and I am a new BBB user but i can almost tell how much Bleach to ADD before i even test.. Just by the amount of use and how long its been uncovered.. But i do test any way just to make sure!!! the sun really eats up the chlorine.. We always keep a weeks supply of bleach on hand...
I agree with always keeping some of everything on hand. You are pretty much right, It gets to the point where you can almost tell, but don't let your guard down... The Green Meenie lurks around every corner :mrgreen: !

What are your water readings in the evening?

Bleach quantities will vary with your pool size, usage, cover or not, etc.

With mine covered, looks like I lose about .5ppm per day; so a gallon of 12.5% lasts about two weeks. Well, except I have to dose the spa too, but it's really tiny amounts.
--paulr

my readings at night are around 4ppm and i like to keep it at 5 or 6ppm but it all depends if it has been used during the day
I don't loose any during the night so i know i do have anything growing in there... its just from being used and the sun.... And yes i don't want the GREEN MENNIE
Jim

Thanks everyone... but I am having BIG TROUBLES trying to keep my FC levels accurate... I put 2 182oz6% bleach in and raised my FC levels to 10, within about 2.5 days my FC was down to about 1 again... so for some reason 'something' is using up the chlorine fast.... today I sat and did a very detailed test of every test and this is what I came up with.

FC - 1.5
CC - 5 :(
ph - 7.5
TA 120 (this was my fault I added a little too much on accident)
CH - 100
CYA - 35

so my question is, the pool chemistry book I have talks about breakdown chlorine, and to do that I should raise the FC to 10 times the current CC levels (which would be 50 FC???) so if I use the pool calculator that means 10 182oz jugs of 6%

that seems crazy to me, but can anyone shed some light and HELP ME PLZ!!

Also, even though my CYA levels are ok at 35, why am I still getting sooo much CC??? could ammonia be the culprit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, with a CYA of 35, I would expect chlorine to come down dramatically in 2.5 days, Chlorine gets used up both by sunlight and by killing germs and clearing organic waste. You need to constantly replenish it, typically every day.

Given your CC level, you need to shock the pool. See How to Shock Your Pool at Pool School.

JasonLion said:
First, with a CYA of 35, I would expect chlorine to come down dramatically in 2.5 days, Chlorine gets used up both by sunlight and by killing germs and clearing organic waste. You need to constantly replenish it, typically every day.

then Why are a lot of people in the previous posts talking about only using a few smaller jugs a week... I am going through an 182oz jug a day, and it seems like its still not enough

Taterelder said:
JasonLion said:

then Why are a lot of people in the previous posts talking about only using a few smaller jugs a week... I am going through an 182oz jug a day, and it seems like its still not enough

You have organics consuming the FC as you add it, this is evidenced by the very high CC level. You aren't adding enough to get ahead of it. Once you defeat the organics, your demand will be dramatically less, provided you adhere to the recommended levels according to the CYA chart. NEVER let it go below the minimum for your CYA, you need to add enough each night so that your FC is always above 3, so perhaps your target is 5 or 6, you dose to that target in the evening and your FC should stay above 3 for the entire next day. Then that night you test again, and add the appropriate amount to reach 5 or 6.

For now, you need to shock your pool until:

Your FC holds overnight (see the Overnight FC Test instructions );
Your CC is .5 or less;
Your water is clear.

So raise your FC up to 15 and hold it there, until the above criteria have been met. Then you can let the FC drop to normal range and do your routine nightly testing and bleach additions.

frustratedpoolmom said:
You have organics consuming the FC as you add it, this is evidenced by the very high CC level. You aren't adding enough to get ahead of it. Once you defeat the organics, your demand will be dramatically less, provided you adhere to the recommended levels according to the CYA chart. NEVER let it go below the minimum for your CYA, you need to add enough each night so that your FC is always above 3, so perhaps your target is 5 or 6, you dose to that target in the evening and your FC should stay above 3 for the entire next day. Then that night you test again, and add the appropriate amount to reach 5 or 6.

For now, you need to shock your pool until:

Your FC holds overnight (see the Overnight FC Test instructions );
Your CC is .5 or less;
Your water is clear.

So raise your FC up to 15 and hold it there, until the above criteria have been met. Then you can let the FC drop to normal range and do your routine nightly testing and bleach additions.

SOOOOO.... last night at 11pm I put 546oz of 6% bleach in my pool to shock it (pool calc says it puts my fc at 15)... I went out there at about midnight and checked it, and after 40 drops the solution still wouldn't turn clear putting the fc 20+ (I just figured I pulled water from a saturated part)....THEN I GO OUT THIS MORNING AT 8:30 AND THE FC IS DOWN TO 2 AND THE FC IS 5.... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT GIVES... GETTING FRUSTRATED!

I know you are, I'm sorry. You said "FC down to 2 and the FC is 5" One of these is CC?

Either way, you have to repeat the shock process. Raise your shock level to 15 right now and then again tonight, if you can keep it at shock level all day that would be the quickest way to tackle this.

An overnight FC loss of more than 1ppm indicates you still have organics...so you have to keep shocking until the FC holds overnight. There's no way around it.

Keep dumping! :goodjob:

Test, calculate, add. Wait a few hours, repeat the process. The more often you keep the FC up the faster the process.

No, you will not screw up your pool using the bleach. Most of the FC is being used up immediately so in reality your FC level is not high enough to do any damage. It's complex chemistry but the CYA is a factor too.

Once the FC holds overnight you'll let the levels drop to normal, so in reality you'll have very little time when the FC is truly "high" and it won't be high enough- long enough-to cause damage.

Have some POP too. :wink:

we call it Soda around here :) ok so I am off to Sams Club to buy bleach in bulk... and I will keep an eye on it... you say the reason the fc is getting used overnight is because of organics, they must be microscopic b/c my pool has been beautifully crystal clear for 2 weeks now. is there anyway to tell how many days this will need to be done?

Taterelder said:
we call it Soda around here :) ok so I am off to Sams Club to buy bleach in bulk... and I will keep an eye on it... you say the reason the fc is getting used overnight is because of organics, they must be microscopic b/c my pool has been beautifully crystal clear for 2 weeks now. is there anyway to tell how many days this will need to be done?

POP - Pool Owner Patience.

I was in Atlanta in the late 80's, stopped at a local mom n' pop grocery. Asked the stock boy "which aisle is your pop in?" and he replied "What you need to see my daddy for?" :mrgreen:

Yes, you can have clear water with organics. IF you allowed your FC to drop to 0 and didn't add bleach, your water would be green within a day or 2.

No way to tell, if you stay on top of the bleach additions it will be faster.

thanks for all your help.. I was a lil sketchy about putting so much bleach in... but I checked is a bit ago and the FC was back down to 1 and the CC was 0... so thats a good sign, dumped another 4 jugs in and now the FC is 16 and CC still 0... I think I am good to go just gotta keep the levels high, and pray I don't lose much over night!!! yay

quick question...

lets say it is at 15 tonight and 14/15 tomorrow morn, do I just let it be until subsides down to 5/6 range and keep it there for good?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.