7/12/16.Spots No noticeable change

Test kit TF100 came today
ran tests and here are the results
fc oto 5 Ph 7.5 Cya 22. Ta 100. Chlorine drop test fc test 4, cc 0

I am still trying to get rid of the mostly faded spots on the bottom
so pool math said to do what I have been doing added another gallon of Walmart 10% liquid chlorine

I need to get something to raise the cya

anything else?

Re: Test kit arrived today, test results, still have bottom organics

Get regular CYA to raise the CYA. I'd dose enough to get to 50 ppm

What does your water look like?

(Take that "Test Strip" statement out of your sig.....Congratulations on your TF-100!!)

YOur numbers look very good. Raise the CYA up to about 50 ppm and then keep the FC between 3 - 5.

Looks like you are in business for a great end of the season swim for the next couple of months!

Today I added cya , Clorox granular cya
and was surprised that 2 pounds in a sock was
dissolved during the 4 hours I was away.
I think I read not to take a Cya reading for a week
i took one anyway and it read 50
so can I Assume it will lower over the week?

Today I added cya , Clorox granular cya
and was surprised that 2 pounds in a sock was
dissolved during the 4 hours I was away.
I think I read not to take a Cya reading for a week
i took one anyway and it read 50
so can I Assume it will lower over the week?

Congrats on a great test kit. CYA doesn't go away without draining and replacing water or a reverse osmosis treatment (rare). The reason more often in the past it was reccomended to wait a week is because of how long it could take to dissolve if added directly to the pool or in a skimmer to the filter. If it was all dissolved out of the sock, you can pretty much count on it being there.

My pool has been crystal clear for many days
i started taking the FC level way up as soon as I determined that the spots on the bottom were organic
I did that with granular shock in a sock held down on some of the spots
The black to dark greenish spots are covering about 1/4 of my pool
They seem to have lightened some but are still very much there with the water crystal clear
With my cya now at 50 I brought the fc up to 16 as calculated to slam it
Today is really the second day I took it to that level.

The spots are very much like stains you can scrape nothing off the vinyl
every 8 hours or so there is black material which is very wispy, it disappears when I brush
I have been vacuuming it up every day

Do these spots really sound like algae?
I have been reading posts where the water is not clear with algae
How long would it normally take to clear the spots up?
Am I on the right path.?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Spots on bottom, pictures added

Just looking I would say it is calcium scale with algae and dirt imbedded. Put a Tri-chlor puck on the stains for about 10 minutes and see what the result is. If the stains are organic, they will lighten considerable.

If they don't, crush up some cheap vitamin C tabs (maybe 15) and put them in a sock then put a brick or rock onto the sock and sit it in the middle of the stain. leave it about the same 10 minutes and then report back the results of both tests. We'll go from there.

Today I bought vitamin c and tested for metals after a pool store told me my copper was at .4
i went there only for the copper test....
on a funny note looking at there recomendations, they want to sell me 38 pounds of chemicals!
anyway I saw no change after holding a bottle of crushed AA in a sock for several minutes
i them used a triclor puck and after several tests determined it was fading the stains.
i am doing a chlorine overnight test.
i am wondering about the scaling,
In one post an expert commented that scaling seems to go away
in bright sunlight and seems much darker in shade, my stains are like that, how should scale react to the triclor puck.
also did a CH test tonight results were CH 25

There is no point in doing the OCLT. You have a combination of staining, I think but it is surely unusual to find it on a vinyl liner. What do the stains feel like when you rub them with your hands. How often have you tried vigorous brushing on them?

How long have you owned this pool?

Did you ever test for pH?

What does the water look like now?

- - - Updated - - -

There is no point in doing the OCLT. You have a combination of staining, I think but it is surely unusual to find it on a vinyl liner. What do the stains feel like when you rub them with your hands. How often have you tried vigorous brushing on them?
the stains feel like the liner, I brush them 3-4 times a day, no change when I brush, am using a pool brush to do it

How long have you owned this pool? Pool came with my home, it was green swamp, but we cleaned it up spring of 2014

Did you ever test for pH? Yes ph was 7.5 when I started socking it

What does the water look like now? Very clear

here are my reading when I first got test kit from post #1

fc oto 5 Ph 7.5 Cya 22. Ta 100. Chlorine drop test fc test 4, cc 0, ch 25

I followed through with the oclt test which was 2
Is there a way to test for calcium scale
I did not do a calcium hardness till last night and it was only 25
also pool math says my csi is -0.91
very evident today that you can barely see the spots in the bright sunlight part of the day
but as soon as the sun starts setting there they are
I will continue bumping it up to shock level fc14?

Last edited:

With CSI negative and CH at 25 calcium scale is unlikely. Calcium scale will feel rough to the touch and raised above the surface of the pool.

If trichlor lightens the stain then it is organic. You can raise FC several ppm above target for your CYA,[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and brush daily to lighten it further over a couple of weeks. Maybe longer if the stains have been there a while.

With CSI negative and CH at 25 calcium scale is unlikely. Calcium scale will feel rough to the touch and raised above the surface of the pool.

If trichlor lightens the stain then it is organic. You can raise FC several ppm above target for your CYA,[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and brush daily to lighten it further over a couple of weeks. Maybe longer if the stains have been there a while.

Pooldv So if my normal range is 3-7 with. Cya of 35 what would several above be?
I have been running at shock level of 14 for a long time and brushing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.