2nd blown 24" aquaview filter in one year

Jul 9, 2016
Keaau, HI
I can't figure out why I have blown my second filter.  I have a Doughboy AG 32x16, Pentair Whisperflow 1 HP single-speed pump, Pentair Intellichlor SCG and 24" Aquaview sand filter. The plumbing is 1 1/2". Even with my first filter, brand new, the PSI was at 23. I expressed my concern to the contractor who built the pool and was told every pool fluctuates. The mylar label on the filter indicates not to go beyond 26 psi (!!). I have read on this site that if the psi goes past 10 from a clean filter reading, it's time to backwash the filter. My gauge never changed, and I backwashed regularly - couple times per month. Both times, the filter ruptured at the seam. My "contractor", whom I have found had an expired license during the installation, replaced the first filter with an attitude that he was doing me a great favor. The last time I called him (rusted plates at top of pool after only 9 months), he hung up on me. This is a Doughboy representative! I also contacted Doughboy, sent an e-mail to the CEO and was replied with "what size is your pool" and "the SCG voids all warrantees".

So I digress....

Any thoughts? Please?

Aloha. Suzanne

Aloha duraleigh - Yes, I was thinking about the 24" Hayward as a replacement. The only reason I had the Aquaview was because that's was came with the pool setup, and it was replaced by the contractor (before Doughboy decided my warranty was no good). I didn't (and pretty much still don't) know what the best/most appropriate products are. I'm mostly concerned that everything was sized correctly. I would hire someone to come take a look at my current equipment, but on the east side of the Big Island, well, let's just say that we're probably a few years behind the times. I can't even find a pool person that is reliable. Thank you for your response. This site is solid gold. I finally learned how to properly evaluate my pool water due to this site.

I'm interested in why your pressure is running so high on an above ground pool?
Can you post pictures of your setup?
Can you tell me what size eyeball you have?
Can you give me the model number of the pump you have or post a picture of the motor data label?

Going with a new filter is about your only course of action, but you need to know why the pressure is so high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.