What is a "return jet"?

Jul 5, 2016
El Dorado County, CA
I understand that it moves water around when the pump is on but does it bring water into the pool or take it out?

Ignorant question, I know.

I want to try using bleach but need to know where to put it into the pool.

Thanks.

Another quick question: My pool set up is to use chlorination tabs. Is it a problem to put the bleach straight into the water? The man who sold me the pool recommended against it. Said to use the tabs. Not sure why he said that but I'm all for anything that will save me money and time.

A return is where water "returns" to the pool. :)

If your sole means of chlorination is tabs eventually you will have a CYA problem. The articles in Pool School would be great, especially the ABCs of Water Chemistry.

The skimmers suck the water from the pool the returns return it. Any return point......the thing water is coming out of on the side of the pool.

Not really a stupid question. I know I didn't know (insert any word) about pools when my build was finished.

Re: What is a "return jet"?

I did, but it didn't answer my question. Thanks, though.

- - - Updated - - -

A return is where water "returns" to the pool. :)

If your sole means of chlorination is tabs eventually you will have a CYA problem. The articles in Pool School would be great, especially the ABCs of Water Chemistry.

I did read it -- great info, and the reason I want to switch chlorinating method. Thanks for the answer.

- - - Updated - - -

The skimmers suck the water from the pool the returns return it. Any return point......the thing water is coming out of on the side of the pool.

Not really a stupid question. I know I didn't know (insert any word) about pools when my build was finished.

I fell terribly ill-informed. Thanks for saying that!

Put me on the ill-informed team, too. My first dealings with pools seem to me that the returns should "return" water to the pump.....where it started from.

Me too. It's opposite of heating/air conditioning systems terminology -- there the HVAC system is the focal point, with supplies sending air out to the house, and returns bringing air back to the unit. It took me a while and some misunderstandings to realized that, I guess, the idea is that the pool itself is the "star", so water gets sucked out of it, handled by the pump/filter, then "returned" back to the pool.

So I turned the pump on a couple nights ago, found the return jet (thank you all!), and poured in the bleach. Then the pump seemed to stutter and the water wasn't coming in very well. So I figured I need to work on the cartridges more. I shut everything down. Am soaking the cartridges in soap overnight and will hose them tomorrow. Have ordered a pool vacuum that I'm hoping will get the silt up off the bottom. Then I guess I'll check the chlorine again and carry on with pouring bleach in front of the return jet. I must say, this is complicated in a lot of ways but is oddly straightforward now that I understand the basics of the equipment and the chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.