High TA

Jun 26, 2016
Central IL
Hello everyone. 1st time poster but I've been lurking for about 3 weeks following the Pool School rules. This forum has me browsing like it's Facebook :) and I really enjoy the accelerated learning. I have a SWG in-ground pool approximately 38K gallons with Hayward ORP automation. It came with the house when we purchased it last year.

Following pool math I've got my FC and CYA up but now my TA is high and PH has dropped, which I didn't expect. All measurements from TF-100 as recommended.

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 6.8; It was 7.5 until I added 20 lbs of CYA
CYA: 90
TA: 200. Was 180 before I added CYA.

Today I've been adding PH + in an attempt to get PH up. However I am now aerating w my nozzles pointed up as PH + isn't having the intended effect.

Am I on the right track to getting TA down in an attempt to increase PH?

Thanks!
Rob

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, lowering your TA will lower your PH also, but I would raise your PH with aeration. set your eyeballs to shoot up out of the water a bit, a fountain, etc.
here's the link for water balance for SWGs
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
so dry acid or muratic acid to lower your ta and aeration to raise your PH
if you can lower your ta to recommended levels and aerate to raise ph, your ph swings should lessen
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

HI! Welcome out of the sidelines and into the hot seat! LOL

You are on the right track with the PH down with MA to get the TA down. Here is a link to it:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

You reall seem to have a good handle on most of it. Now will come the experience of what happens when..........You can also use Pool Math to help figure out what happens when you do this or that. It is a neat tool that does so much but does take some playing around with to figure out all of the features and how they work.

Ask any and all questions you might have.

Kim:cat:

Good advice. The Web pages are very well written and easy to follow. I added the ph + before I realized what I was doing and just reacted.

I have a pool cover. Should I leave it uncovered during aeration. Seems I should but just in case others have another opinion

Update this morning. Left uncovered last night.

FC: 15.5
PH: 7.1
CYA: approx 70/80
TA: 200

Plan is to continue to aerate today & recheck tonight. Not sure why the FC jumped but we had company over last night, about 8 got in the pool, so maybe that had an affect.

Rob

I've been aerating all weekend and the Ph is rising...back to 7.4. TA is still high but surprisingly FC is high too. Over 15 for my SWG pool. Is that anything to be alarmed about? Why might that be occuring?

Rob, I suspect the elevated FC is directly related to the SWG's production output - either run time or percentage. You might want to adjust one or the other and take a look at the link mulia provided earlier in post #2. TA is still a bit elevated compared to most, but as long as you can get that pH back into the 7.5-7.8 range I wouldn't worry too much about it. Alkalinity is typically high in your area anyways, so I think you are doing well. You don't have plaster to worry about, and if your pH likes the TA up there, then it will work just fine. Have a good day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Texas. I disabled the SWG yesterday and letting the sun do its job.

Yeah I've been doing a lot of reading. I decided I'm not going to bring down TA just for the sake of bringing it down. Pool is clear & feels good. Just getting PH back up and enjoy it! Right, that's why we do what we do!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.