New Liner and fresh water

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
Hi Everyone,
We had a new liner installed on the 7th and now we need to get the water balanced. My husband has already started to put things in the water. So I will tell you where we are at so far. He put in 4 lbs of cyanuric acid in to get some CYA in the water. He used the sock method. Yea! Now he is putting soda ash in to raise the PH. Here are our test numbers. I just wanted to get a thread going so we don't screw things up on the brand new liner. With your help I know we can get it right.
Thanks!
Sherry

CH 75
TA 60
PH 6.8

Sherry, get somew chlorine in your pool. Calculate enough to get to about 5 ppm and get it in there ASAP. It should be your priority.

That CYA dose raises your CYA to about 25 ppm. For your climate I would suggest you dose again and get the total to 40 ppm

Does your water look nice?

Has one of you left yet to get the chlorine? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hi Dave!
That was a quick reply. Just what I was wondering on how high to make the chlorine since we just added the CYA. So did one of us leave to get the chlorine? I told Bill he better get his butt moving....and NOW :gone:...cause that's what Dave said....hahahahaha Actually, we were prepared and ready. LOL And we did exactly as you said and it's exactly at 5. ;) It gets VERY hot here most of the summer. It's already been in the 102 to 104 range. We actually get quite a lot of 100+ temps. Some of the days are 100 to 112. YUCK! And our pool is in the blazing sun all day long except for a very short time in the AM and another very short time in the PM. So we will adjust the CYA. Isn't it right that we can't get a correct reading on the CYA for about a week after adding it?

Does the water look nice, you ask? You MUST be kidding! LOL It looks WONDERFUL! And I am so relieved because I LOVE the water color of the new liner. And that is one of the things that was driving me crazy...trying to pick the liner and just imagine what the water color would look like. I was looking at tan and grey liners and just chickened out without being able to see them for real. Darn it. But I am :whoot:so happy with our choice now that it's full of water. The border was a little overwhelming to me until it got full and covered half of it. Now it looks marvelous!

What cha think? Clear enough??? :)IMG_0800-001.jpg
Sherry

All right, this is a serious forum and we don't like jokesters. Take that pic down and put up one that has water in it!!:laughblue:

Isn't it right that we can't get a correct reading on the CYA for about a week after adding it?
WE all used to think that but after some discussion a couple of months ago, we decided that virtually all CYA registers within 48 hours.....so that's our new standard.

Let me emphasize that adding your dosage carefully means you really don't have to test after you add.....other than just for reassurance.

Okay, thank you. I think I need all the reassurance I can get. :) And I'm sorry for trying to be funny! I know this is a serious forum with serious business! Noted....:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot: hahaha And Dave, is 60-120 the correct TA numbers for a vinyl liner?
Sherry

Sherry! HI! I like you already! LOL :joker: hehe

I have some links for you. It is a LOT of info but it is worth reading and rereading to really learn it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Your TA will be the last thing you adjust. Your pool will tell you when the TA is where it wants it. If you PH is stable for the most part then your TA is where it should be. Some pools like a TA of 50, some 80. Each pool is different. We will work on it once everything else is done.

Km:cat:

kimkats,
I like you too! :handwave::handwave: I noticed I'm using about 3.5 ppm of chlorine a day. That's in full sun most of the day and no cover on pool and no swimmers. It seems like I am adding more chlorine each night than I did last year. Maybe it has something to do with not using the solar blanket yet. Anyhow, I've raised the CYA to 40 to see if that helps with the chlorine loss. I was at about 30 CYA before. And I see Dave recommended that I raise the CYA also. Is that because of the hot weather we get here? Does it help to protect chlorine loss with the higher CYA? I'm pretty sure that's correct. But need no mistakes. :ncool:
Sherry

Waiting to hear the answer on this. I too am losing somewhere between 2.5-3ppm per day. My CYA is around 45, and our pool is uncovered and in full sun the majority of the day too. Good luck to you!

kls1973,
Looking at the chart, it seems you are doing pretty good with your chlorine loss. It says loss to sunlight is about 2-3 ppm per day. So you seem good. If I can get mine where you are, I think I will be pretty happy. I really think I need to raise the CYA but don't want it too high in case of needing a SLAM :eek: and then needing much more bleach for the dreaded SLAM :eek:. I shouldn't even be thinking of a SLAM!!!!! But you never know. And last year my CYA was at 100 and had to do the dreaded DRAIN HALF THE POOL thing! That's how I ended up here at this fantastic site. Now I have changed my ways. But I, like you, will wait for someone with more knowledge than myself for all the answers. LOL
Sherry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
kls1973,
Looking at the chart, it seems you are doing pretty good with your chlorine loss. It says loss to sunlight is about 2-3 ppm per day. So you seem good. If I can get mine where you are, I think I will be pretty happy. I really think I need to raise the CYA but don't want it too high in case of needing a SLAM :eek: and then needing much more bleach for the dreaded SLAM :eek:. I shouldn't even be thinking of a SLAM!!!!! But you never know. And last year my CYA was at 100 and had to do the dreaded DRAIN HALF THE POOL thing! That's how I ended up here at this fantastic site. Now I have changed my ways. But I, like you, will wait for someone with more knowledge than myself for all the answers. LOL
Sherry
Sherry I too had the high CYA (also 100) and gross green slime along with high PH. Whole thing went to Hades in a hand basket in what seemed like overnight but I now know better. Did the drain and all too, was so frustrated with how long the clearing was taking. Thanks to great advice here, I was able to get it sparkling clear and I'm not sure it's ever looked better except maybe the day it was new. I'm getting the same response from everyone- that my loss is normal- so I'm running with it. I was concerned because over a long weekend where I'd been gone and raised it to shock, I had 6ppm loss per day. I think it was just because when FC is 10 or more the evaporation loss is greater. I'm still working some things out but I think I'm getting a grip on it. Good luck with your new liner and the break in period. It's gorgeous by the way!

Thanks Kristi. We like the new liner a lot too. The water color turned out to be gorgeous and that was one of my main concerns. So glad you got your mess cleaned up. I remember last year at 100 CYA and not being able to maintain ANY chlorine. So yeah, went through that too. Now I just want to try and keep everything as good as possible with the new liner. When we opened the pool this spring the water was clearer than it had ever been using our old methods. So yeah...this method is great! I have another question about reading the CYA numbers too. So gonna post a new thread on that question unless they think it should stay here with my own thread.
Sherry

Just a pretty picture of my new liner.:splash:
Sherry

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.