CH shot up but all else is good, suggestions?

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Re-plastered with quartzite 3 weeks ago. Been testing a week or two on my own, and had pretty good results. Put in some more CYA through sock method yesterday.

Morning readings:

FC 6
CC 0
CH 525
TA 120
CYA 50
PH 7.5-.6

How did my CH rise so much? Not sure I was accurately testing in the past, and I know we have issues with calcium in my area, but sheesh. Pool math tells me to drain 1/2 my pool, but everything else is fine, any suggestions?

It's the new plaster in your pool shedding calcium. Don't quote me on this but I think some of it is in solid form (are you still brushing the sides?) and will get caught up in your filter - so your next CH test in a couple of weeks MIGHT be lower. No promises, let's see. don't drain anything.

Meanwhile 525 CH is not so bad....many folks operate even higher but a good way to counteract it is to keep you pH a bit lower (7.3 - 7.4) and NEVER let it get over 8.

Your other test look pretty darn good. Congratulations for keeping chlorine in your pool.....that's where most people fail

Are you swimming in it yet?

Thanks Dave, yes, been enjoying it for a couple weeks now, the replaster was actually almost a month ago now. Yes to brushing, and I have a pool vac in there too. I have yet to put any muriatic in, but was thinking of doing so just in case, pool math doesn't say I need any, so might just do a little dose to push down my pH.
Cheers,
Joel

Your acid startup was very aggressive and dissolved some of the plaster near the surface. This is very common with that type of startup, and if I remembers yours correctly, they added a lot of acid.

Your CH level is fine for now. I'd suggest you lower the TA some. Your pH is fine right now but will be on the rise quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.