Newbie with Cloudy Water

jwd

Jul 5, 2016
Beatrice, Nebraska
Hello everyone. A little background: my wife and I purchased a home with an in-ground pool this spring. We were both complete pool idiots, and knew nothing about pool maintenance. The previous owners told us that they always had the guy from the pool store come out and open the pool for them, so that's what we did. The pool store guy spent an hour or so with me "teaching" me how to maintain the pool, most of which involved buying expensive chemicals from him.

I didn't know any better, so I dutifully followed his instructions and our water was crystal clear. I was adding chlorine tablets to the skimmer, adding "shock" every two weeks, adding algicide once a week, and adding some sort of clarifier every week. All was well until we went on vacation. We were gone for 10 days. I covered the pool, but never had anyone come check the chemicals or add anything. When we returned last Saturday, the water was cloudy and murky. The testing strips (that the pool guy sold me) indicated low chlorine and high alkalinity, but everything else looked okay, and of course it didn't give me actual numbers.

I started searching the internet and came across these forums. At first it seemed silly, adding bleach and borax. My wife encouraged me to trust the "professionals" who basically just told me to shock the heck out of it, which really only involved adding about $20 worth of chemicals every day, plus boatloads of chlorine tabs in the skimmers. I did that for a few days with no changes. I decided to try the TFP method, figuring I had nothing to lose. I ordered a testing kit (TF-100) and in the meantime was adding a gallon or two of 8.25% bleach to the pool each evening. I have a friend who is a chemist, and he took a sample of my pool water to his lab and told me that the pH was 8.0. He had me add HCl (muriatic acid).

Testing kit arrived yesterday. Here are my first results, assuming that I did everything right:

pH = 7.2
FC = 5
CC = 3
Calcium = 350
TA = 240 (this seems high to me, but it took 24 drops of R-0009 before I saw any redness in the solution)
CYA = I couldn't measure. The dot on the bottom of the tube never obscured, even when the water was above the 20 mark.

The water is MUCH clearer than it was a week ago, but still not as clear as it was before we left for vacation, and I still can't see the bottom in the deepest part of the pool. (When we just got back and it was at its worst, I could not see the bottom of the pool anywhere, even in the shallowest part.)

From what I've read, I assume I need to add enough bleach to bring the FC to shock level, but I'm not sure what to do about the high alkalinity and low CYA. Thanks for any help and advice.

Jeff

HI! You have done a lot of good already getting the good test kit! Nice job! Now lets get that pool clear the "easy" way-bleach! It does seem almost too easy BUT it works and works well!

Here is the link to the SLAM just in case you have not found it:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

We are not going to mess with your TA right now. That is the last thing we tweak after everything else is "fixed".

CYA=stabilizer-You can buy this at Walmart.

Here is a tool to help you know how much to get and add:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Put the CYA in a sock (like you wear) and hang it in front of the return with the pump on. You can squeeze the sock to help it dissolve. Shoot a little low just in case you have some CYA in your water but it is too low to measure.

I can tell you have been doing some reading already BUT make sure to ask any questions you might have!

Kim:cat:

HI and were glad you found us. Sorry it was after spending so much $$$

Your CYA is very high. It "can" be managed that high but it will take a lot of chlorine. Those pucks are what got you there. Good choice on the TF-100. See this thread Extended Test Kit Directions
For more information on how to do the tests.....as well as the instructions for diluting the CYA test to get a better idea of how high it really is. Try that, and post back with questions. You can use pool math (link at top of web page) to determine how much water to drain to reduce your CYA if you choose to go that route.

Pretty much everything you need can be found in the pool school articles and you will find no shortage of help on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Kimkats types faster that me ;) I guess

And I totally misread the post on cya. I thought it read the not was totally obscured. Disregard my CYA information if was low

Humble apologies

Numbers are looking better, although the deep end is still pretty cloudy. This morning, FC = 11 and CC = 0. pH = 7.5.

CYA still = zero, although I put some in a sock yesterday and hung it in front of one of the jets. Pool math tells me that to increase to a CYA of 30, I need to add 120 oz of stabilizer. There is, of course, no way that I can put that much in a sock. Any other suggestions?

Numbers are looking better, although the deep end is still pretty cloudy. This morning, FC = 11 and CC = 0. pH = 7.5.

CYA still = zero, although I put some in a sock yesterday and hung it in front of one of the jets. Pool math tells me that to increase to a CYA of 30, I need to add 120 oz of stabilizer. There is, of course, no way that I can put that much in a sock. Any other suggestions?

That CYA will show up sooner if you agitate that sock while is hanging in front of the return.

I've been known to tie three socks with CYA in them to a pool noodle and let them float around. But I try to give them a squeeze when I'm down by the pool.

I put my conditioner in a cut up stocking. Hang over pool at return with a weight of some kind on the deck keeping it from falling in. By the next morning it should be gone. We run our pump about 10 hours a day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is pretty clear now, but still has a green tint to it. And I have been adding bleach like crazy. Last night, as well as the night before, I added 726 oz. of 8.25% bleach. This morning, FC = 4, CC = 8, pH = 7.5. CYA is still a bit < 20, but I've been trying to bring it up slowly. I'm surprised that after adding all this bleach I still can't get my FC up to shock level. Pool Math says that 267 oz. should get me from FC of 4 to 10. Is there something else going on? Am I missing something?

There could be a bacteria colony consuming your CYA. Bacteria colonies can double in size every1-3 hours. The best way to quickly eradicate bacteria is to add bleach to 10 ppm, run pump, brush around a bit and retest in 15 minutes. If FC is below 7 repeat until FC holds above 7. Then test CYA and raise to 30 ppm and continue ue with SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.