Party in 4 hrs! Any extra FC?

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 30
CH 225 (my calcium just arrived by mail; will add tomorrow)
TA 110
82 degree water that is crystal clear.

Question: I'll have 16 seven year olds and 10-15 parents potentially in the pool. Should I bump the chlorine up now (at least 2 hrs before party) to 6 or 7?

Thanks!
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with bumping it up. Id go as high as 8ppm. That's a lot of people, especially kids. Kids have a tendency to relieve themselves in pools and urine can cause fairly significant chlorine demand. You should definitely test right after the party as well as the following day to ensure proper chlorination. You could even do an OCLT to see what FC demand is present. We recently had a post 4th of July Party post where the OP did not check his pool after 30 people swam in it and his FC bottomed out a few days later.

So after the party it dropped to 3.5ppm. Crystal clear the whole day. Loads of people all day. It was incredible. At 12 noon I increased it to 8ppm FC and at 9pm it was 3.5 ppm. I bumped it to 6ppm for overnight just in case.

I even converted a guy to the TFP method bc he couldn't believe how clear my pool was.

4.5ppm FC loss can only mean one thing - Someone pee'd in your pool!!!

Ok, maybe not ... But here's the official rough rules of thumb for bather waste. One person-hour of bather load requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine to neutralize. So, with your pool volume in pool math, you can figure out how much FC that is. It's typically quit small, on the order of 0.04ppm FC or there about for a typical sized pool.

However, 1 cup of urine (close to normal human output) is the equivalent of 6 person-hours of bather load. So you can see that having lots of people swimming usually isn't a big deal. But, all it takes is a few people relieving themselves in the water, and FC demand goes way up.

Ok, maybe not ... But here's the official rough rules of thumb for bather waste. One person-hour of bather load requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine to neutralize. So, with your pool volume in pool math, you can figure out how much FC that is. It's typically quit small, on the order of 0.04ppm FC or there about for a typical sized pool.

However, 1 cup of urine (close to normal human output) is the equivalent of 6 person-hours of bather load. So you can see that having lots of people swimming usually isn't a big deal. But, all it takes is a few people relieving themselves in the water, and FC demand goes way up.

And I tested first thing in the AM (light out but not direct sun yet) and I apparently lost 1ppm overnight. From 6 to 5.

So right now I'm at 5, which passes the overnight test.

Whew. Now on to increase my calcium!

My testing indicates for a period of 4-6 hours of pool use (in an out), with children and adults (about 8-10), I lost 4.5 ppm throughout the whole day. I do not believe anyone relieved themselves in the pool, but the "sun tan lotion" was the culprit for high chlorine consumption. You could see it all over the surface of the water. Every pool is different, and this is why we always rely on accurate testing here at TPF.

It is truly amazing how people take care of pools for years without understanding a thing. I refuse to swim in other people's pools (Unless they are members of TFP)! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was thinking about this a bit. Normally my pool eats 3ppm, even with one swimmer (not peeing!). So for it to take an extra 1.5 ppm for a full pool party isn't so outrageous.

I was thinking about this a bit. Normally my pool eats 3ppm, even with one swimmer (not peeing!). So for it to take an extra 1.5 ppm for a full pool party isn't so outrageous.

Yup. I bet that extra 1.5ppm was just simply bather load related. Most adult people understand that you don't relieve yourself in a pool, it's the kiddos that usually present a problem. As awkward as it might be, when my kids have swim parties, I always gather the kids up and explain the rules. One of those rules is - "The pool is not a toilet bowl so do not use it as such!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.