Slamming my pool help please

Jul 7, 2016
Wadley, GA
7-7-16 morning showing no FC, 7-7-16 evening added 4 gals of 10% bleach retest FC-7.4, CC-0.6, morning 7-8-16 FC-1.2 CC-0.4, night zero again added 12 gallons retested when test it turn pink then to go colorless counting drops 45 drops and I stop so I have no ideal what it was. This morning I retest and FC-1.8 CC-0.6. Help what is going on. I got this Taylor kit because this site said it would help me
i do not know what to do. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I am sorry that was not 45 it was 225 drops x 0.2=45 but water did not turn colorless it was a grape color, thanks for your help....

7-7-16 morning showing no FC, 7-7-16 evening added 4 gals of 10% bleach retest FC-7.4, CC-0.6, morning 7-8-16 FC-1.2 CC-0.4, night zero again added 12 gallons retested when test it turn pink then to go colorless counting drops 45 drops and I stop so I have no ideal what it was. This morning I retest and FC-1.8 CC-0.6. Help what is going on. I got this Taylor kit because this site said it would help me
i do not know what to do. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I am sorry that was not 45 it was 225 drops x 0.2=45 but water did not turn colorless it was a grape color, thanks for your help....
Your post is very confusing. Are you saying you added 12 gallons of 10% chlorine last night and this morning it was 1.8ppm?

12 gallons of 10% chlorine would add 80ppm to your 15K gallon pool. Why would you add that much chlorine?

Dom

Thanks Dom,
it all is confusing to me. I read for slamming I needed to get my FC to 20. We had added 4 gallons and that brought it up to 7.4 then the next morning it was at FC 1.2. It says if you lose more than 1 ppm a night you have a problem and would need to slam get to highest to kill whatever is causing you to lose chlorine so I thought that was what I was doing.

Sorry now what can I do to fix my mistake? Will this damage anything?

You might want to switch to the 10 ml sample and multiply by .5 to save your reagent. Are you using http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to see how much to add? How soon after adding the chlorine are you retesting? You should be adding chlorine more than once a day if you are slamming.

Thank you, yes I am using the top calc. 1 hour. How often should I be checking and adding? When the ppm is up and drops 7.4 to 1.2 it is frustrating over night I just want to quit. Thanks again for the info

Your post is very confusing. Are you saying you added 12 gallons of 10% chlorine last night and this morning it was 1.8ppm?

12 gallons of 10% chlorine would add 80ppm to your 15K gallon pool. Why would you add that much chlorine?

Dom

Yes!! We had added 4 gals.then retest it was 7.4 the next morning it was 1.2 so to get the chlorine up to kill alge.
checked later that day and FC-0 so that is when we added the 12 gallons I thought that was a lot but it said to increase to 20. Went way over but we thought test would be better when we tested again. Not

retest 1 hour later and that is where filled 25ml added 2 dipper R0870, it was really pink, added R0871 drop count and swirling until colorless and this is where I did 45 drops but it still was not clear so it was 45+.
this morning retested and FC-1.8. Drops was FC 9 and CC was 3 do that x 0.2. What am I doing wrong.

Yes!! We had added 4 gals.then retest it was 7.4 the next morning it was 1.2 so to get the chlorine up to kill alge.
checked later that day and FC-0 so that is when we added the 12 gallons I thought that was a lot but it said to increase to 20. Went way over but we thought test would be better when we tested again. Not

retest 1 hour later and that is where filled 25ml added 2 dipper R0870, it was really pink, added R0871 drop count and swirling until colorless and this is where I did 45 drops but it still was not clear so it was 45+.
this morning retested and FC-1.8. Drops was FC 9 and CC was 3 do that x 0.2. What am I doing wrong.
What "said to increase to 20"?

What is your current CYA level?

When I enter 15,000 gal into pool math, then set my current FC=0 and my target FC=20, pool math tells me I need 384oz (a bit over 3 gallons) when I enter 10% trade. Is this how you attempted to calculate your needed chlorine amount?

image.jpg

Dom

EDIT:
I see that in this post from yesterday:
Jdradford, new to forum

You reported a CYA level of 50ppm.

Please keep all your posts in this one thread, it will be easier to answer your questions.

Yes, with a CYA of 50ppm you should be maintaining a FC of 20ppm during the SLAM.

The next time you add chlorine, test the level after 30 min (the pump & filter should be running 24/7 right now). Let us know how you calculated the dose amount, & how much lower the result was from what was expected.

If the result is below 20ppm, dose again to bring up to 20ppm.

According to pool math, it takes 19oz of 10% chlorine to add 1ppm FC to your 15K gallon pool.

Dom

I added the 12 gallons hoping to have a great reading after I did first it was really high yes but next morning it was 1.8 why

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added the 12 gallons hoping to have a great reading after I did first it was really high yes but next morning it was 1.8 why
Because it is being consumed by (oxidizing) the algae. That is why is is important that you Maintain the shock level during the SLAM.

Again, how did you calculate that you needed 12 gallons of 10% chlorine?

Or are you just guessing?

If you continue to just dump large quanitities of chlorine into your pool you will likely destroy your liner, and/or other pool equipment.

Dom

Do I reply like this? New to this.

i did the pool math like you said the first time when I put in the 4 gallons which raised FC to 7.4 CYA then was 40, the next morning when I retested it had dropped to 1.2

so my husband said it took 4 gallon to increase to 7.4 and we lost a lot over night and we wanted it to 20 so 12 gallons triple would be 20? Too much I know and I have not been checking my CYA again I read to get rid of alge get coloring right where I think here on this site.

if you will notice when I added the 4 gallons FC was 7.4. I do not understand. Sorry
with slamming how often do I need to check my totals and do I need to check everything FC, cc ph ch cya how often to add chlorine?

i am going to test my pool and I will send you the results ok and if you can deal with me I will try and do what you tell me ok.

i will be back......I thought it was best to test late evening and morning am I wrong?

When you figure out how much chlorine to add via the calculator, add it, (the pump should be running 24/7) retest in an hour to see where you are at. If it's under the targeted amount, add the correct amount and retest sooner. Continue this orocess, if possible, until the targeted amount starts to hold.

Do I reply like this? New to this.

i did the pool math like you said the first time when I put in the 4 gallons which raised FC to 7.4 CYA then was 40, the next morning when I retested it had dropped to 1.2

so my husband said it took 4 gallon to increase to 7.4 and we lost a lot over night and we wanted it to 20 so 12 gallons triple would be 20? Too much I know and I have not been checking my CYA again I read to get rid of alge get coloring right where I think here on this site.

if you will notice when I added the 4 gallons FC was 7.4. I do not understand. Sorry
with slamming how often do I need to check my totals and do I need to check everything FC, cc ph ch cya how often to add chlorine?

i am going to test my pool and I will send you the results ok and if you can deal with me I will try and do what you tell me ok.

i will be back......I thought it was best to test late evening and morning am I wrong?

July 9th, @ 3pm

ok tested pool

FC-0.5
CC-0.5
PH-7.6
TA-160
CH-180
CYA-40

put into pool math and it tells me to add 374oz 10% bleach
okay what do I have to do to not slam and get my pool right. I sent a picture don't know if you got it. Water is beautiful.

you have the two boxes the first one is what my test shows but what amount should I put into second one. Thanks

When you figure out how much chlorine to add via the calculator, add it, (the pump should be running 24/7) retest in an hour to see where you are at. If it's under the targeted amount, add the correct amount and retest sooner. Continue this orocess, if possible, until the targeted amount starts to hold.

I just want to get back to the normal pool stuff, this slamming is not working. I was paying a lot for pool supplies and found this site so I changed to the BBB method. I should've started this slamming. I canno run my pool 24/7 I already have for three days now it's time for a break. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Dom, do I just reply or reply with quote? I been replying with the quote. I have sent you my totals. Thanks

I'm so sorry that you have gotten so discouraged.

The SLAM process does work, but it takes time and patience.

You just need to test frequently and add chlorine to get to your shock level. At the start it will seem like a lot of work, but the chlorine demand will go down as you win the battle against the algae.

I'm sorry but the filter needs to run 24/7 to keep the water mixed & circulating.

Let us know if there is anything further we can help you with,

Dom

I'm so sorry that you have gotten so discouraged.

The SLAM process does work, but it takes time and patience.

You just need to test frequently and add chlorine to get to your shock level. At the start it will seem like a lot of work, but the chlorine demand will go down as you win the battle against the algae.

I'm sorry but the filter needs to run 24/7 to keep the water mixed & circulating.

Let us know if there is anything further we can help you with,

Dom

Dom, how many days will it take to get it right? Did you get my totals that I sent you at 3 pm? I cannot do anything now it's thundering and lightning. Please tell me what I should put in the second box on pool math. Thanks

Sorry it took so long to reply, working some crazy shifts this week. Yes I see your levels in your post.

A SLAM takes as long as needed to kill whatever is consuming your chlorine. While the water may look clear, if you cannot maintain a FC level there is something organic being oxidized, most likely algae spores and bacteria/virus cells.

To keep the time to complete the SLAM as short as possible, it will require that you test and dose chlorine as often as possible to maintain your shock level FC, this could mean once an hour at the start to get your FC to hold. After that first day you should notice that you can go farther between doses. A SLAM is complete when you lose less than 1ppm of FC overnight, your CC is 0.5ppm or less, and the water is clear of any algae, dead or alive.

The SLAM also requires that your filter run 24/7 during the SLAM.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

As as far as pool math is concerned, if you refer to the pic I posted you will see that I put your pool's water capacity in gallons in the box at the top left, in the 'size' section. Directly below that is the FC section. The box on the left (the 'now' column) is where you would enter your current FC result (in the picture I entered 0). In the box directly next to it (the target column) you enter your target FC (in the picture I entered 20, your shock level). To the right of that box is where pool math will tell you how much chlorine to add, but be sure to enter the proper chlorine concentration (in the pic I entered 10 for the trade %). In the pic I posted this worked out to 384oz.

In my post yesterday at 11:51am I gave you the amount of chlorine needed to raise your pool 1ppm (19oz). If your SLAM shock level is 20ppm, and you get 8ppm from your test, you need to add 12ppm to get back to shock level (20ppm target minus the 8ppm reading = 12ppm to add). This will require 228oz of chlorine (19oz X 12ppm = 228oz of chlorine needed, about 1-3/4 gallons).

I hope this helps,
Dom

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.