How to Stop Water Flowing When Replacing SWG

NeilH

Sep 5, 2011
I'm going to be replacing my SWG soon. When I removed the cell to clean it in the past I haven't been able to stop water from flowing out of the pipe. I end up flooding a good portion of my yard. I've tried closing the valves for the skimmers and drains but no go. I figured there has to be some combo of knobs to turn to prevent water from flowing. I'd appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160707_200430.jpg
    20160707_200430.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 63
It looks like you have two filters?? Anyway, you have to drain the water above your SWG......that's mostly in the filter(s)

Simply open the air relief valve on the top of the3 filter and you should hear/see water draining back into the pool.

First, why not just stick a rag in the pipes to stop the water flow when you clean your cell?

In any case, without being there and seeing exactly where water is coming from, here's the best I can suggest... First, turn your system off and set your multiport to "waste" ... that takes care of any water that may be flowing from intake side (if water starts flowing out, kink the hose). Next, there is a 3-way valve on the same pipe as your salt cell... turn that valve so it's blocking water that's trying to flow back from the pool return (or put stoppers in your pool returns)... that takes care of both sides and you should be good to go.

Is it possible that the pool water level is above the return plumbing. You have a valve actuator that closes the spa line but that doesn't close pool line. If that's the case then you could purchase a 2" expansion plug to put in pipe when you remove SWG

Yes, the pool water level is above the return plumbing. Thanks for the tip.

Is it possible that the pool water level is above the return plumbing. You have a valve actuator that closes the spa line but that doesn't close pool line. If that's the case then you could purchase a 2" expansion plug to put in pipe when you remove SWG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.