The CYA, Frog, FC, Pool Store, BBB debate

May 22, 2009
Ok, I'm just thinking outloud here. I'm very new to all this and you've all provided a lot of info. so far. So, feel free to chime in and correct me where I'm wrong and answer my questions and convince me and all that.

I have a frog. A few days ago, after much research, I decided to stop using it and probably go BBB. However, the "convenience" of it REALLY appeals to me. So, I'm searching for ways to be able to keep using it. But, at the same time, I don't want to cause myself more trouble later.

I have high CYA of 85 (as per the pool store, 90 according to my readings at home). The PS says it's fine, don't worry about it. I said "yeah, but doesn't the frog keep adding to the CYA" he replies with "no more than any other chlorine source". I did not mention to him that I was considering bleach. He said it's fine, no need to drain/refill. He even goes as far as to say I can turn down my frog because I don't need my FC as high as it is (3.1)

So, who do I believe? I know he's trying to sell me something and TFP isn't, but it's hard not to trust those "in the business".

Here are my test results. I took the water to 2 PS's today as well as did my own CYA test.

PS#1... (drop test)
FC 3
TA 180
PH 7.8
CH 100
CYA 30

PS#2... (computerized test)
FC 3.1
TA 150
PH 7.9
CH 110
CYA 85

My CYA = 90

Now, it's not going to be very costly for me to do a drain/refill as I have a well. I could probably do it slowly too if I wanted. So, here's my options.

Keep Frog...
Drain/Refill
Rebalance

Keep Frog...
Assume Rain, water additions will lower or at least keep CYA where it is.

Go BBB...
Drain/Refill
Rebalance

Go BBB...
Rain/water addition will probably lower CYA over time.
Lose money on frog we already bought
Save money on chemicals

Looking for any insight.

Kathy3232 said:
Go BBB...
Rain/water addition will probably lower CYA over time.
Lose money on frog we already bought
Save money on chemicals

The money you save by not buying the bacpacs and mineral carts will pay for the frog in a year's time. You will end up with more money in your pocket, you won't lose money by not using the frog. In prior summers I spent several hundred dollars a season, last season I spent all of $50. No comparison for me.

Having learned the hard way, I have no regrets about switching to BBB, and wished I had this forum in 2003 when I started having problems. I loved the frog at the beginning, the convenience of it...but not knowing how it worked and what the eventual problems it would bring - if I knew then....LOL

For automated chlorine, there is SWGs, Liquidators, and inline chlorinators. the latter adds CYA, so that's not really an option for you right now. The other two require an additional monetary investment in equipment.

Honestly, I spend maybe 5 minutes a day testing and adding bleach to my pool. I spent much more time in the past dealing with the associated problems that rose from using the Frog.

My first May on TFP I did 2 partial drains to lower my CYA of over 100 down to 70. I ran it there for that summer, making sure my FC was at the appropriate levels. Last May I lowered it again down to 50. This year I actually had to add some, as my level had dropped to 20. So yes, over the next 2 seasons you will see your CYA drop, though not as rapidly....but thru backwashing and splashout you will see it drop.

Thank you. I had a feeling that would be the general concensus here. Not that I mind, I know this many people doing the same thing can't be wrong!!

**I already bought several bac-pacs. I may be able to take them back, but maybe only for store credit? I haven't tried yet.

Kathy3232 said:
Thank you. I had a feeling that would be the general concensus here. Not that I mind, I know this many people doing the same thing can't be wrong!!

**I already bought several bac-pacs. I may be able to take them back, but maybe only for store credit? I haven't tried yet.

I tried - that May I converted I had 3 pacs, but the Pool Store wouldn't take them back. I stopped shopping there. I ended up giving the pacs to a neighbor who had a frog. She didn't even ask why I didn't want them anymore.

Ask them for a credit - hopefully you can buy pool toys or liquid chlorine.... :goodjob:

So, who do I believe? I know he's trying to sell me something and TFP isn't
I think that answers your question. TFP has nothing to gain or lose if you decide to manage your pool water carefully.

BBB isn't about "our" way but rather teaching you the basic principles of pool water management so you can select and understand your own path towards crystal clear water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.