buying pool on vs in store

Jun 6, 2014
NYC
hello i have been looking around for a new pool to replace old pool. its a 21ft round pool. it was here when we bought the house so im guessing it about 10 years old maybe older. i was shopping arounf for a new pool due to the rusting and liner problems i purchased a new sand filter last summer so i dont need that. i went to a local pool store by me and they want to sell me everything i dont want afilter and they are going to have the install done by someone else they recommended. so i have been looking on line for pools. why is the price diferent from what the store is telling me to whats on line its a big diferance. maybe by half i priced one on line for like 1500 without filter and in store its like 3000+. what should i do? is it worth going online since the install is gonna be subcontrated out. im gonna have to find an installer and who warranties the pool either way?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

finding the installer is the hardest part, I had 5 installeres fall though, 1 took my money and did not do anything for 2 months.. ensure they will install the pool and do what they say... I still only got 75% of my money back from him...

been there and done that...

How handy are you? I've installed 2 AG pools myself. the first one was a 30x15 oval, the second was a 27' round. That's the one we have now. Installing them isn't that difficult, the hardest part leveling the ground. You would need a friend or two to help but installation yourself is possible.

Imo from my limited experience with pool stores I'd never purchase a pool from them. Unless there was some reason i couldn't or wouldn't install myself or find my own installer. Keep in mind I've only ever bought 1 non intex pool, but I shopped for it for months everyday I was pretty fanatical about it, I wanted the biggest, deepest, best quality I could afford on my budget of $2k. In store the prices were 30-50% higher and you had to take their package unless you wanted to upgrade for more $. Even their install price was considerably more than what non-affilated installers charge. I live in the sticks so it might not be exactly like that for everyone. So I bought my pool online, my equipment off Craigslist and am installing myself. Saved myself a bunch of $, bought myself quite a headache though lol but that's just because my yard was sloped and apparently it was filled with huge rocks when they graded it.

But since you are replacing a pool, ideally you've already got a perfectly level spot ready & waiting. If I were you I'd order online and install it yourself if you have a few helpers. If not maybe compare the price of buying online & hiring an installer to buying and using the stores installer. You'd prob still save some $ that way. Lots of videos on YouTube to show you how to install it. And if you run into any issues you can post here, the people here are so helpful they have so much knowledge to share. I've been lurking around here for months and I'm yet to see any question not answered.

Good luck!

I think it depends on your circumstances. We bought our pool from a pool store and had it installed. We had no experience at all with how to do an installation, and I knew if we did it ourselves, it might be a few seasons before we'd get it done. If we were to start over now, I'd order online and pay someone to install it.

If you take the time to really level the ground and do your homework/watch some YouTube about pool instalation it's really not so bad of a project. A laser level will make the job much easier but isn't required. A water level is capable of getting you good enough but won't be as easy. I have all the tools to do the job and even did the level base for the pool but still had a pb put up the pool for me. Sure I could have done the install but instead of me spending hours or days doing it myself, I watched the pb put up my pool in 6 hours while I sat back and had a beer or two. Call me crazy but after having a conversation or two with my pb who has been in business in the are for 30 years the extra 1000 dollars or so it cost me to have them do the install was worth it. He was the only one out of 4 Pool builders I spoke to that I would have let come close to my pool tho. So if there is nobody in your area you find trustworthy and are moderately diy capable an Internet pool is a good idea.

Similar to what I just did. Pool dealer was $1,000 more than Above Ground Pools - On Ground Pools - Inground Pools for a 16' 54" high pool. Came on two pallets. Had great service and no problems. Did the install with my wife and 14 yo son. Took our time and made sure it was done right. Turned out fantastic.
a5652b84b3817366773212989b5920f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From my experience - We bought our pool 5 years ago and used the installer recommended by the pool store. I wouldn't do it again. Here is why : IMO the pool store is going to try to sell you a "starter" package. It will include the pool, ladder, filter, vacuum head, pole, hoses, skimmer and a bucket of chlorine. They are going to try to get maximum dollar out of you for a overpriced product. When we bought ours, my wife and I were in disagreement over a couple of the "options". I wanted a slightly smaller pool, metal top rails and absolutely insisted on the cartridge filter. We wound up with the 21ft round and just about the cheapest junk as far as ladder, vacuum parts and overall pool value. I wanted the metal rails having grown up with pool that always had them. They never rusted out or showed any signs of wear. Clearly they are different now and mine rusted completely after 5 years. I have replaced the ladder (A-frame) with a Confer with roll down locking barrier and had to replace the vacuum head twice (being dumb enough to buy the same brand after the first wore out) and the pole snapped in half after the second season. The installer that they recommended came out, banged out the job in a few hours and left a mess behind. They rushed through the job and what I was left with was a wrinkled liner and a filter whose connections were all covered in silicone rather than being fitted with teflon on the threads.
My advice - do your research, ask questions and make sure that you don't get sold on something that you don't need. Go see the pools in the store but if you find one that you like, get the brand and go home and price it out online. Not sure where in NYC you are located, but my mother has a reliable pool person who does all of her work and also does installations. If I had known how bad my installer was going to be I would have used him for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.