New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Jul 9, 2016
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hello all!

I stumbled upon your forum during a late night search for pool information and liked all the photo updates etc. so much that I decided to partake in the fun and create my own thread for our project!

Our dig begins next TUESDAY 7/12! We had planned the pool design years ago and have known pretty well what we wanted in our backyard. After several years of other things going on, light naggings from the HOA *ugh* about our unfinished backyard, and cement work throughout the entire property except for the backyard, it is finally time! We had a design drawn out by hand and the pool company we eventually went with took it and turned it into a 3D render... and while we think they spent less than 5 minutes doing it and ignoring a lot of the things we've said, I took their drawing and altered it quite a bit in Adobe Illustrator to represent what we're looking for (design wise).

- From the backdoor is a balcony covered rectangle and from there will be a step down to pool level (0).
- The pool is half peanut shaped with a back wall ~2ft high. (Pool- 15x31', Spa- 7x9')
- On the east side (left) there are 6 steps up to a raised patio (+36) and the spa will be one raised step (a ring of sorts) above that (+42).
- On the back side of the spa is a 'jumping rock' into the deep end of the pool. We wanted a slide, but were told not to for various reasons so it became a rocky ledge...
- On the opposite end of the pool from the spa are two steps down (-12) and that side of the pool will be a 12" wall from the eventual cement patio.
- In the pool are the 3 steps down with the second step leading to a baja reef that is large enough for 2-3 people to lay out on with their backs to the coping. In the deep end is a seat (also an exit point), and in the middle is a swim out bench that will have two 12" waterfalls pouring onto it (one on each side). Last but not least, the spa will pour into the pool.
- Last but not least the equipment is on the west wall and will eventually be enclosed. The PB stated it couldn't be against a perimeter wall but we own the next ~6ft on the other side all the way to the sidewalk and it's not an issue.

SO, here's an image to look at, and I'll get some photos of the dirt before they start digging on Tuesday. We've sketched out the pool in the yard ourselves to visualize and already have several materials in mind so I'll show you those as well.

Cheers!

Share_crop-1.jpg

Re: New Pool- Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to TFP :)

That looks great, did they give you an equipment list, post it up.. some new builders have been recommending things you don't need and we can let you know :)

Re: New Pool- Inland Empire, CA

OK! Time for some equipment info and some pre 7-11-16 images!

Per our PB contract, the equipment is as follows-

- Two recirculation suction lines (one in spa one in pool)
- HP Pentair Whisper Flow pump and motor (I think this is what has been upgraded to an "Intelliflo 8 b y160, 4-to-8 speed with 3 inch suction line from pump to spa (adds more jets to the spa)") (the old man wanted more jets in our spa (7'x9'))
- Pentair 320 Clean and Clear capacity filter
- (Upgraded) to 400,000 BTU energy stackless heater (the old man wanted to heat the spa very fast)
- Furnish automatic color rotating lights (we've downgraded these to non-LED standard white lights... any reason to keep them the fancy LED ones?)

Some photos of the yard (I'm using photobucket, that's best I assume?)-

P6010103-1.jpg

This is the yard getting the treatment. We got palms a while ago and have kept them in boxes so they can acclimate, they've done ok but have honestly been a bit abused. They'll be MUCH happier once in a nice moist planter. Of note, the flagstone (and the cement it's sitting on) has been removed and the balcony covered patio will be a step down to the yard/pool level.

P6010102-1.jpg

Here is an aerial from the balcony looking to the West. This side will be left mostly as is, it will eventually be a BBQ/pizza oven setup, a spot of grass, and a table/chair area with some sort of pergola or structure. That will happen after the pool, so, later on. The main drainage of the property goes out under the wall where the rock is against it. This drainage pipe is massive and wraps around the entire property and is what all the drains will be tied into. The digging access tomorrow is coming through this wall right on the right edge of the photo (where the wheel barrel is (was)).

P6010101-1.jpg

Looking East, this is where most of the action will be. You can see the minor slope against the East wall which is what led to the concept of the spa being raised along with the patio up there. Nice views of the mountains down the side yard from there.

P6250105-1.jpg

Here's the main attraction. We drew this from the images and measurements we had to get a better understanding. There's more drawn atm and I'll get a picture of that soon (before they dig tomorrow!). I'm ripping out the cactus by the rocks but they'll have to move the rocks with the digger, I can't move those things by myself!

P6250107-1.jpg

Last but not least this is me testing out the location (and size needed) of the baja reef. Also visible is the outline of where the two steps (check the first post) that are on the West side stepping down to the future patio/sitting area. Also please note Benya, my cat, he will likely be present in many photos as he'll be inspecting the work as we go. He is already not happy I've been doing little things here and there to his yard.

Cheers!

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig tomorrow!

For what it's worth, here is the first of my overhead shots I'll be taking throughout the build-

P7110119-1.jpg

Note we have some planter walls drawn out and more importantly the underwater features (steps, seats, and baja reef). Also a few of the stones we're thinking on selecting (I'll show them up close later).

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig tomorrow!

Hi Benya! You will make a good snoop-avisor! Just watch out for the big machines!

So neat to see it all drawn out. This will be fun to watch! THANKS for letting up come along to help you spend your money.

Have you been reading many build threads? If so you know what I am going to say.........if at all possible you need to be there tomorrow for the dig. IF, wait WHEN they have any questions or concerns you want to be the one to tell them what you want done. If you cannot be there give one of them your phone number and have them share pics with you if needed.

Kim:cat:

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day!!

SO! Here's the events from this morning!

After some initial sketching on the ground (we were close with our paint, things shifted ~1ft or so) people got to work!

P7120123-1.jpg

Break the dam, release the river! (Lord of the Rings reference). Wall came down within due time and has been hauled away (we saved a few bricks and all the caps for rebuilding matching).

P7120134-1.jpg

First the small slope was leveled out a bit. The stairs to the elevated patio and part of the spa will be where the bobcat is.

P7120139-1.jpg

Then they got to leveling the yard and lowering it. The pool will be at -6" from the back door patio so they had to lower the yard a bit to get the forms in.

P7120141-1.jpg

Jackhammering into the dirt/rock to put the form posts in. Here in SoCal against the hills we have to do that. Current rumors as of lunch is that the bobcat is not able to dig the pool (they should've known this beforehand)... we'll see how the convo goes with the boss... they may be bringing a ditch witch in? (I wasn't part of the convo).

I'm not joking when I say that it takes me 2 days to dig a hole to plant a shrub hehe...

Congratulations!!! It's dig day (maybe). Your ground sounds a lot like our central Texas (and some other parts) with bedrock right below the top. Sometimes, the biggest expense is the excavation. That old rock can slow things down, but once you get through it, progress will pick up.

Great rendering and pool design! I can tell you guys have put in exactly what you want and where - that's fun. I love the lines and different elevations of the deck. Lots of interest points going on.

As soon as possible, get started on building your signature information. You can look at mine and many others for ideas. The more specific you can be the better. As your thread grows in number of pages, it gets harder for a reader to search back for information they may need to answer questions. And when people see something in your build, you won't have to answer the same question over and over - like, "Love your water color, what finish and plaster color did you use?" or, "How long, wide, and deep is your pool?"

As you get more choices made, you can add to or edit what's already in your signature.

I'm looking forward to more of those great pictures! Fingers crossed for an easier than expected dig!

Suz

We live on a huge alluvial fan, so no bedrock, but just tons of cobbles, boulders, and crappy soil. I'll post more tonight, but they've switched out for the jackhammer attachment on the bobcat and are plowing away at it. They've already pulled out a couple of ~2ft boulder and only down ~1-2ft hehe.

I'll work on that signature, in the meantime my pool equipment info can be found here (post #3)- New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Diggers left at 4:30, dropped off the last load (4 today), came back to tidy some tools, and took off. It looks like a pool already! You guys say you like photos so don't worry, I'll be adding TONS.

P7120145-1.jpg

This is the laser station and unit they carry around to determine elevation of the pool forms. It was interesting to watch him walk around the yard and hold the stick up and down to determine the level the mold (and ground) should be at. I do the opposite sort of I guess for surveying purposes (geologist here).

P7120152-1.jpg

Here's the big gun they brought out on the bobcat to counter the rocks. They've been doing pretty well with this technique of breaking apart the ground/rock with the jackhammer and then scooping it out. They think they can finish the job with this, though if they encounter a large enough boulder, it'll be interesting...

P7120157-1.jpg

Here was their progress with the jackhammer breaking up the top couple of feet of material to be dug out.

P7120164-1.jpg

Here is day 1's progress pic, taken at 3:30p every day. It should correspond pretty close with post #4 up above.

P7120172-1.jpg

Last but not least, once all the work was done, we let the cats out to snoop around. Benya inspected the hole and decided to roll around in the fresh dirt.

Cheers!

Hey! Do you know anyone building a pool who needs boulders for a weeping wall, grotto, or such??? You could cut a deal!!!

I see one cat. How many are in the picture? I'll do a 'find CAT' game in your last photo!

Only one cat in that photo. The other one that went out is 'One Ear' (a fixed feral cat that adopted 'us'). She was sitting on the side near the patio in awe at what has happened. I'll try to grab her in some future photos (they're a team aka she follows him around and loves him to pieces). Did I do the signature right?

My son and I are cat people - love cats. I also love dogs, but they always look at me with those sad puppy-dog eyes. Then I feel guilty, and I'm not even sure why!!! My granddog, Willie, is in my avatar. I love him to pieces. As a grandma, it's great to play with him and have him around. And..... it will be much quieter and nice when he leaves after this 3 month visit! Lol!!

I look forward to seeing a better shot of One Ear and Benya!

Good job on your signature! Thanks for humoring me. Do ya'll have any idea what you want for your pool finish and color? See, I'm already too lazy to go up to the top of the page and see if it's up there somewhere!!! If you haven't chosen the finish yet, you'll appreciate those who add it to there signature - especially when you see ones you really like and the plastered pictures are at the end of a many, many paged thread. Try finding that info through all those pages!! Lol!! Others on here may need/want some more technical equipment specs, but it looks good to me.

We live on a huge alluvial fan, so no bedrock, but just tons of cobbles, boulders, and crappy soil.

Ok, so I've done my homework and now know what/where Inland Empire is and also what an alluvial fan is. I feel I can knowledgeably continue to read this thread.

Dig crew (a different one) started at the 'crack' of 8:15-8:30 this morning. We were taking bets yesterday if they'd be able to finish digging today. They got off to a later start, but thus far have been moving pretty quick.

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day #2!

Mid-day update, the hole is gettin' deeper, slowly but surely. Boulders are the bane of our existence, but they're gettin' em. We realized that with the 42" rise of the spa above the pool and the pool being 6ft deep at that end, it'll be quite an imposing 10ft wall of gunite once shot over there. Exciting!

P7130176-1.jpg

That's a keeper. One of the ~20 or so boulders that size (this is actually a midsized one) we've taken out. We're keeping the nice ones.

P7130178-1.jpg

Bring forth the ditch witch! She arrived mid morning, and the diggers were quite happy about it.

P7130183-1.jpg

The hole is getting deeper and the sides are becoming much more clear :-D

Re: New Pool - Inland Empire, CA - Dig day #2!

That's nuts! What town are you actually in? Corona, Lake Elsinore, Temecula/Murietta etc?

We lived in Temecula after living in Scripps Ranch down South.

Luckily our property in Temecula wasn't as bad as you're showing for the boulders etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.