New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, end pix soon!

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, please HELP me with my startup

Post a full set of numbers.

It rained pretty heavy last night, so my pH jumped from 7.2 back up to 8.2...

Free chlorine (ppm)- <0.6 (likely 0)
Combined chlorine (ppm)- <0.6 (likely 0)
Alkalinity(ppm)- 90
Bromine(ppm)- <1.3
pH- 8.2
H2O Temp(F)- 68

I will add half a gallon of acid to the pool right now. Looks like Alk is where is should be? Bromine needs to be raised?

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - Pool finished, please HELP me with my startup

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

See if this helps for the pump run time.

You PH is going to push up as the plaster cures. The good thing is you KNOW and know how to deal with it due to TFP!

TA is the last thing we worry with. It is okay where it is right now. Just keep an eye on it and we will adjust is as needed.

Kim:kim:

PB said that the heater is faulty (causing blockage) and that the system has been running at 5-10% and not to run the pump until the problem is resolved. He said to keep up on start up chemistry.

pH was at 7.8 this morning, I added half a gallon of acid, gave the pool a brush down and swirled the leaves and dirt on the bottom of the pool. Will test pH again later.

No heater bypass, just spoke with the PB, he has one and it's unnecessary.

Things are moving quickly this morning and I'm talking in the pump forum so I'm trying to keep things updated, sorry.

As of right now, I JUST discovered that the heater pipes are installed the wrong way- in is out and out is in. So the plumber is coming back out to switch them around. We're hoping that will solve the pump/pressure problem.

What will be awkward is how the plumber was here this morning and even made the comment "The first thing people do when there's problems is blame the plumber".

My question is... for the past 3 months... why didn't the plumber notice it, why didn't our project manager notice it (who am I kidding, she was on site <20 minutes the entire project), and why didn't the start up guy notice it?

There are a couple people on here using my same PB, to you I say you may think you're on top of them, but you're not, be even more vigilant during your build!

No heater bypass, just spoke with the PB, he has one and it's unnecessary.

Things are moving quickly this morning and I'm talking in the pump forum so I'm trying to keep things updated, sorry.

As of right now, I JUST discovered that the heater pipes are installed the wrong way- in is out and out is in. So the plumber is coming back out to switch them around. We're hoping that will solve the pump/pressure problem.

What will be awkward is how the plumber was here this morning and even made the comment "The first thing people do when there's problems is blame the plumber".

My question is... for the past 3 months... why didn't the plumber notice it, why didn't our project manager notice it (who am I kidding, she was on site <20 minutes the entire project), and why didn't the start up guy notice it?

There are a couple people on here using my same PB, to you I say you may think you're on top of them, but you're not, be even more vigilant during your build!

AS long as the plumber is there, ask him to put in the bypass if you can. It is necessary. You should be using the bypass in the months you do not use the heater. I am sure people more expert than me can tell you that running the chemicals through the heater core when you are not using the heater will cause it to fail a lot faster. At least that was my experience in my first build, and went through two heaters.

Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - One week since filling, when to add chlorine?

So, the pool is one week old as of Saturday, I have been working on keeping the acid down, when is it time to start thinking about chlorine. Keep in mind, the PB gave no start up guide at all so I'm following your suggestions. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool IG - Inland Empire, CA - One week since filling, when to add chlorine?

Did he or you add any CYA (stabilizer)? If not please do so now as well. Look at the set of links I shared a while back. It has a link to the recommend levels for each chemical.

needsajet is correct ^^^^ Get some in there now before algae joins in the fun!

Kim:kim:

Use PoolMath to target 30 or 40 ppm CYA for starters and 3 to 4 ppm FC, which can be done at the same time. There's a button for PoolMath at the top. It's good to play around and learn all it's features. It's an amazing calculator and really helps when you take charge of your pool.

Emil, everyone! I'm not dead, just have been busy. I will post some pix soon of the finished product. Just wanted to chime in that all seems well... the pump has a bit of a whine/squeak to it at lower RPMs so we might ask the pb about it or call pentair ourselves. Other than that... all seems well... it's eating acid like a monkey and I'm getting the chlorine to where it should be. Apparently I did a good job putting in CYA and its where it should be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.