Hayward Heater Leaking

Nov 10, 2009
Riverside, Ca. (SoCal)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I tried firing up my heater a week ago and my Hayward 400k BTU threw a "PF" code. It has done that once a few months ago and I left the heater alone for a few weeks and turned it on again with no issues. This time however it is not going away. There is a continuous small leak dripping from the unit itself and I opened it up to see some rust on the inside of the unit. The heater is 14 yrs old or so. I guess my question is if I replace it with a newer unit can I get away with getting a 250/300k BTU unit or should I stick with the BTU's that it is now 400k BTU? Are the current heaters more efficient in that I will be able to get a lower rated BTU and get the same power that my old one had with a lower rated heater? Here's some pics of what my heater looked like.
74c8d9c47b8e4d4bc6bc34c42294bcd7.jpg
22242a74663614377505d310d6e6d649.jpg
3d8706b3bf2216c0e2e0df15e32e295e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while more efficient now a 200 BTU will not do the same as your 400k BTU

That does not mean you can not go to a 200K, it will just take longer and use more gas to heat your pool..

If you use the heater to mostly heat the spa, you could get a smaller BTU unit. Even if you occasionally use it to heat your pool you could survive on the smaller BTU unit. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 250K though. If you can afford the extra money for the 400K unit, then get it.

Efficiency on these units really doesn't mean much as there are no requirements for them to be super efficient like an AC or a furnace. All of the units are about the same.

Okay copy. I ended up getting a Hayward 400k BTU. I know that they have their issues but I couldn't find any other heaters with significant amount of consumer reviews that I would consider. My only concern now is if I will be able connect all the pipes in the same fashion as my old one. From looking at the control pad, my gas and electrical wiring is on the left and the pvc pipes are on the right. Will I be able to keep this same configuration with my new one without having to reroute gas or electric?

Well I'm sorry that you chose to use Hayward as you will have problems yet again down the road with this unit.

The best reviews to go by on pool items is here in this group.

You'll have to reroute the electrical.

So I ended up cancelling the Hayward heater and I ordered a Raypak 407a which is around 400k BTU one. My question now is if it's easy enough to install so that I don't have to pay for the install? Or should I pay for the install to extend the warranty.
d649a3e9b8451b635db088c69c33a14c.png

Just wanted to say thanks ps0303 for the input you have provided. The guy that installed my heater also said I made a wise choice going with the Raypak. He also made some minor recommendations with the plumbing of the pool equipment and I took his word for it hoping it was for the best. Here's some pics of the install and before and after pics of the configuration. We're the changes made that you see for the best?
bab6dba8246e8cb862eac0f1d010ba44.jpg
40ae44bf592a5c13aa72c0ad30dd9fd0.jpg
6fe04a353b49dce073c0e8f3c7d7742b.jpg
99fb2764863b5a30186a74e24f4d4acf.jpg
15fbf7f1ffbae41a55d300064eee6944.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't tell about your changes but just wanna share that I had the same model (different btu) as your old heater that died after 15 years, and just had my new raypak 266 installed last night and am SOOOO excited to take a warm morning swim in two minutes after a week of 76 degree water ;)

My installer also said good choice on the heater so a shout out to ps303 for his help ;)

Looks good. Glad all has worked out.

As long as Raypak remains committed to producing good quality heaters, I will keep endorsing them. Hayward used to be the top unit but they went and changed things and not for the better. Unlike Hayward, Raypak does listen to the input that service providers give them. I have seen several minor changes on these units in the last 2 years and it was because they listen. Hayward knows what the issues are on their units but still refuse to address them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.