4-in-1 Shock Plus -AquaChem

kennyg

Jul 19, 2008
Anyone with experience using this product for shock? It's being sold at Costco and was tempting alternative to gallons and gallons of bleach (6%) for shock, but concerned over claims it is "not a sanitizer", but instead used to "Reduce Organic contaminants", Clarify, Enhance filtration (flocculant?) and won't increase pH, despite being sold as a shock plus. Concerned this means it's not an effective shock, or, loaded with stabilizer or other things I'm not looking for right now. (58% DichlorT.)

Have added quite a bit already, but pool still blue/green and having trouble holding any Cl. No doubt still have organics.
Have since resorted to the bleach, but would like to read any thoughts or experience with this product. Thanks.

pH 7.2
FC 2.0ppm (after daytime shocking, round 2)
CYA TBD

Aqua Chem Shock Plus shown here has an MSDS here shows that the product is basically Dichlor [EDIT] though it contains other ingredients that claim to be an oxidizer, clarifier, flocculant, buffer (see this post for related product details) [END-EDIT]. I'm not sure why you say it's not a sanitizer -- am I not linking to the correct product?

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it will increase the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm.

If you wanted to use a granular product and your Calcium Hardness (CH) isn't too high, then you could use Cal-Hypo instead since for every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it will increase the CH by 7 ppm.

Richard

Richard,
Thanks for the reply. You have the correct product and MSDS sheet. Interesting the manufacturer's packaging claims "not a sanitizer or algaecide", but suspect this must have something to with product liability rather than basic chemistry. Thanks for info on Ca Hypo. Will keep shocking with bleach for time being. Ken

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.