area for pool set up/site prep

May 19, 2008
gulf coast of Texas
Talked to my mother in law today..and she isn't going to let us put the pool on the section of the property that I wanted. So sad..because its the only part of the 5acres that has ACTUAL GRASS and nice feel to it...the rest is mostly pasture grass, and out back is the unused part of our 2 acres they let us have...but its truly a pasture. My brother shredded it a few months ago..and scraped up all the rose hedges that grew out there into piles to be burned..but alas..we were under a burn ban for months..and couldn't burn the piles. The plan was to also burn the whole pasture down to dirt...then turn it with a tractor and plow or whatever they use to turn the dirt. She said if we're getting a pool..we need to put it out back now. I'm attaching a pic of the area directly behind my home. You can see the grass..or weeds..whatever is growning out there is getting taller. Can this area be used for a pool site? How hard will it be to prep it? I planned on renting a sod lifter..but I'm not sure a sod lifter would work out on this area, since its not really a "lawn" type grass. Any input?

Attachments

• land.jpg
    land.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 438
Might consider a Bobcat rental for a day or two. You could scrap it down pretty easy and level off the area for the pool and any place else like. Wouldn't dig up the ground to deep and leave a solid sub base to start.

That's pretty much the type of area we had to deal with except ours was also a swamp. Get the Bobcat, scrape it down to level and your on your way.

Well, hubby talked to his mom this evening...and she had misunderstood me on the phone when I told her where we originally wanted to put it. She thought I wanted to set it up on the other side of my house near our septic system. Uhmmmm no....why? LOL Anyhow...she said it was okay for us to put it up on the other side where I really wanted it. I'll get a pic of that tomorrow inthe daylight and post it. That area is lawn grass..but would love to get feedback on which area would be better...or easier to work with.

For anyone else reading, rent a Bobcat Excavator to clear something like this.

It has a blade on the front. You set the blade to "float" and push forward. It basically will scrape down just to the surface and remove the grass and debris.

The model 430 (no not a salesman for bobcat, just used it many times with a five acre wooded lot) is handled by any adept person and will make quick work of this kind of job.

Here is the other area where we want to put the pool and patio at. This is the section of our yard..that has actual GRASS...not that weed stuff like in the pasture behind our home. Does this look like it would be a better area for the pool and easier to work with?

Attachments

• land2.jpg
    land2.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 332
The grass looks better, I'd want it there if it were my pool.

Is this your house or your MIL's house?

This is our house..my mil's house is across our driveway up a little ways(long drive way)...its their land..but we are buying our home from them(they built a new house last year and offered us the doublewide to finish paying off and the bit of land around it), and our homes are on 5 acres. We pay 500.00 a year on property taxes to my fil(helps them out with the taxes) and in return, he said the property around our house was ours since we're helping pay taxes. I just didn't know exactly HOW MUCH of the property is ours.

either place would be fine but i would prefer the grassy area. just make sure there aren't any nutgrass growing around it. it will grow through your liner and destroy your fun. i agree with the others, bobcat or just a tractor with a front bucket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.