Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: area for pool set up/site prep

1. Back To Top    #1

area for pool set up/site prep

Talked to my mother in law today..and she isn't going to let us put the pool on the section of the property that I wanted. So sad..because its the only part of the 5acres that has ACTUAL GRASS and nice feel to it...the rest is mostly pasture grass, and out back is the unused part of our 2 acres they let us have...but its truly a pasture. My brother shredded it a few months ago..and scraped up all the rose hedges that grew out there into piles to be burned..but alas..we were under a burn ban for months..and couldn't burn the piles. The plan was to also burn the whole pasture down to dirt...then turn it with a tractor and plow or whatever they use to turn the dirt. She said if we're getting a pool..we need to put it out back now. I'm attaching a pic of the area directly behind my home. You can see the grass..or weeds..whatever is growning out there is getting taller. Can this area be used for a pool site? How hard will it be to prep it? I planned on renting a sod lifter..but I'm not sure a sod lifter would work out on this area, since its not really a "lawn" type grass. Any input?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie

Atlantic Pool Products "Prestige" metal wall pool 18' x 48" round
    vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump
    Hayward Perflex DE Filter Model EC50AC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: area for pool set up/site prep

Might consider a Bobcat rental for a day or two. You could scrap it down pretty easy and level off the area for the pool and any place else like. Wouldn't dig up the ground to deep and leave a solid sub base to start.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

That's pretty much the type of area we had to deal with except ours was also a swamp. Get the Bobcat, scrape it down to level and your on your way.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, hubby talked to his mom this evening...and she had misunderstood me on the phone when I told her where we originally wanted to put it. She thought I wanted to set it up on the other side of my house near our septic system. Uhmmmm no....why? LOL Anyhow...she said it was okay for us to put it up on the other side where I really wanted it. I'll get a pic of that tomorrow inthe daylight and post it. That area is lawn grass..but would love to get feedback on which area would be better...or easier to work with.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

5. Back To Top    #5

For anyone else reading, rent a Bobcat Excavator to clear something like this.

It has a blade on the front. You set the blade to "float" and push forward. It basically will scrape down just to the surface and remove the grass and debris.

The model 430 (no not a salesman for bobcat, just used it many times with a five acre wooded lot) is handled by any adept person and will make quick work of this kind of job.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is the other area where we want to put the pool and patio at. This is the section of our yard..that has actual GRASS...not that weed stuff like in the pasture behind our home. Does this look like it would be a better area for the pool and easier to work with?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The grass looks better, I'd want it there if it were my pool.

Is this your house or your MIL's house?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ditto
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

This is our house..my mil's house is across our driveway up a little ways(long drive way)...its their land..but we are buying our home from them(they built a new house last year and offered us the doublewide to finish paying off and the bit of land around it), and our homes are on 5 acres. We pay 500.00 a year on property taxes to my fil(helps them out with the taxes) and in return, he said the property around our house was ours since we're helping pay taxes. I just didn't know exactly HOW MUCH of the property is ours.
    Julie

vinyl liner
    Hayward Power Flo pump

10. Back To Top    #10

either place would be fine but i would prefer the grassy area. just make sure there aren't any nutgrass growing around it. it will grow through your liner and destroy your fun. i agree with the others, bobcat or just a tractor with a front bucket.
    18' 52" deep laguna agp with pentair 1 1/2 hp pump and 22" filter, intex swg